YEAH!! it tastes like BEER! GOOD BEER!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, my first batch has been fermenting for the past week, and so I decided to take a gravity reading and make sure that it was done fermenting (bubbles have pretty much stopped in the airlock).

OG reading was 1.042, FG reading was 1.o1, which as I do the math equals a 4.19% APV [the formula is (OG - FG)*131, right?]

Anyway, even if it has a little ways to go, I'm going to put it in a secondary tomorrow - and yeah, I probably should have left it alone until then, sue me.

But, taking the reading means taking a sample - and after a little bit of apprehension, took a little sip...

This is pretty good beer.

It was actually a kit for a Sam Adams-type brew, and by golly it tastes like Sammy! No off-flavors that I've been able to identify, even though I'm still a little clumsy with the sanitation (I try, but the first time through is tough).

But, this is really good beer so far (I still have plenty of time to screw it up). Just as important, it's been loads of fun doing, and it's great to have found this site. So, thanks in advance, everybody, for all the advice I'll be seeking!

Regular ol' Sammy-Sammy.

I'm co-incidentally trying the Cherry Wheat for the first time tonight. The cherry flavor's a little stronger that I usually like, but it's pretty good. SWMBO likes it a lot (she liked mine, too), so I'm sure I'll be learning about brewing with fruit at some point...

the_bird said:
Regular ol' Sammy-Sammy.

I'm co-incidentally trying the Cherry Wheat for the first time tonight. The cherry flavor's a little stronger that I usually like, but it's pretty good. SWMBO likes it a lot (she liked mine, too), so I'm sure I'll be learning about brewing with fruit at some point...

It was my first brew back into brweing. I used Oregon Cherry Puree and it came out incredible! I originallly had the oposite problem. The puree fermented out completely and thought I would never taste it, but 3 weeks aging brought it out. With your it should mellow over time, like hops :)

Just to clarify, the brew I *made* is a regular Sam Adams clone. I'm drinking (commerical) Sammy Cherry Wheat tonight for the first time. Good beer, but when I *do* work into doing a fruit beer, I'll probably aim for a little less fruit flavor.

Congratulations! My first two batches were BrewSack swill. Dumped them, got some real equipment and started making good stuff.

I've already started planing for the weekly brew fund and a weekly brew day. My wife and I are looking to buy a new house and the one we are mostly interested hasa small barn and a shed on the back of the property with electric running to the barn and I told her the barn will become my brew-barn and that was a big enough selling point for me I don't really care what the inside of the house looks like I want the brew-barn :)

Back