Oxyclean (other brands)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_m_s_00

Reaction score
I've been using PBW and love the stuff. Unfortunately I have to mail order for it and it can be pretty pricey with shipping/brokerage. I see a lot of people use Oxyclen instead of PBW but I can't find the Oxy-free stuff anywhere. I found a container of Nature Clean oxy stain remover (no perfume, etc). Would this be similar to the oxy-free? Oxy Stain Remover | Nature Clean Living

I haven’t been in a Wal-Mart in years! I’ll have to check there. But for now I have a container of this nature clean stuff. is it the same as oxyclean free?

Oxyclean is approx. 50/50 Sodium Percarbonate (good stuff - no rinse) and Soda Ash (stuff you really have to rinse well).

Oxyclean is not a replacement for PBW. You don't really need to use something as expensive as PBW for general use. You can use Cleanitizer or One step. Both contain Sodium Percarbonate and do not contain Soda Ash. Cleanitizer and One Step both are no rinse and work well. They are a lot less expensive than PBW and Cleanitizer is 50% less expensive than One Step.

When considering the price you have to consider ease of use and time and water spent rinsing.

Forrest

Forrest,
Doesn't sodium percarbonate become soda ash when re-hydrated?

Forrest,
Doesn't sodium percarbonate become soda ash when re-hydrated?

It is a byproduct but In the smallest amount. Not enough that you have to worry or even rinse. It is the actual 50% Soda Ash you need to rinse off really well.

Oxyclean was not designed to be use for sanitizing food containers such as carboys. They didn't plan on you ingesting the stuff. It is made for clothes that get rinsed well and you don't eat.

Forrest

Back