Beginner AG - Want more to read

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gxm

Reaction score
I've done 2 AG batches so far, after 13 extracts & 7 PMs, and I'm hooked. I'd want a good reference book for AG: advantages & disadvantages of different techniques & procedures, as most of what I've read has been focused on extract (Palmer, Papazian & Korzonas).
While HBT has been a veritable fount of great information, I want more. I want to know why I'd use multiple equal size sparges vs a single sparge, and I know that info is here on HBT, I just like books :)

All you really need to do is study mashing to learn more about the different methods and effects of temperatures and grain types that can be used. The rest of the information needed is about the yeasts and how to culture them and propagate them. I find that no book covers all the bases.

Yeast: MB Raines, Ph.D. - Guide to Yeast Culturing for Homebrewers - Maltose Falcons Home Brewing Society (Los Angeles Homebrewing)

Mashing:

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Brewing Your First All-Grain Beer

Decoction Mashing for Beer Recipes | Home Brewing Beer Blog by BeerSmith

PH: Mash pH - Hard Water Treatment for Brewing Beer | Home Brewing Beer Blog by BeerSmith

How to Brew is a great text on every brewing topic but it does get pretty heavy for anyone just learning all grain. That was basically the catalyst for wanting to write an article describing it more in layman's terms.

Bobby_M, you rock :rockin:
Looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I'm going to need to read this a few times to absorb.

Designing Great Beers is also a great book, but I can't remember the author. It covers different styles and how to tweak your recipes based on those styles.

Back