Non-Airtight Primary Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

messler

Reaction score
When I bought my equipment from the brew shop I got both a carboy with an airlock an a larger plastic pail with a lid that isn't airtight to use for primary fermentation.
Right now I have one batch conditioning in the carboy and it needs to be there for a bit longer, but I was thinking about starting another brew in the primary. I was just wondering if anyone thought I would have any major problems if the new batch sat in the non-airtight pail for longer than the week or so I usually give for primary fermentation.

From what I've been reading, it seems like the times when beer is most vulnerable to infection from the air is during or before primary fermentation, because after fermentation the CO2 and alcohol will protect it. So, would having some exposure to air after most of the fermentation is done do harm?

Also, could outside air getting in be minimized by trying to seal the pail under the lid with saran wrap after most of the fermentation is done?

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'm eager to start making more.

i would go for it....that is a wine fermenting bucket, i have one and i use it for beer.
i usually rack from that as soon as i can,either to a water-sealed bucket or a glass carboy.
have made 3 batches of all grain brew in it and all were very good.
maybe others have had more experience with them?

Back