Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking about using beer in my next baking session. Is it just that easy, beer instead of water? What's the max abv I should use?

I should report the anise and chocolate bread smelled really nice and tasted good but had a acrid after taste. I'm pretty sure it was the grain so next time I'm going to use something else.

Thinking about using beer in my next baking session. Is it just that easy, beer instead of water? What's the max abv I should use?

I should report the anise and chocolate bread smelled really nice and tasted good but had a acrid after taste. I'm pretty sure it was the grain so next time I'm going to use something else.

Done it many times, try some wort or add some extract also, more sugar for your little friends!

I see. I used honey in one loaf and it was the best one I've made to date. The holes were almost as nice as some of yours but not quite.

I got my bread maker today! I was about to pout something in there to have it done by after the kstate game, but I dont have enough flour. Dammit!

I just put in all purpose flour instead of bread and all the ingredients, turned it on and it has a f!@$ing error!!!!!!!! Im very pissed right now.

I just put in all purpose flour instead of bread and all the ingredients, turned it on and it has a f!@$ing error!!!!!!!! Im very pissed right now.

don't lose faith. Salvage the loaf with some slapping and folding. Don't let it get ya down. It always seem like that stuff happens at the worse time.

don't lose faith. Salvage the loaf with some slapping and folding. Don't let it get ya down. It always seem like that stuff happens at the worse time.

Ingredients are trashed. Im leaving for the game in 15 minutes so I didnt have time. I dont care about the flour, im pissed they would send me a broken product!

It's displaying "error"? If so I understand, computers are awesome, till they break! It sucks to send it back and with Ebay they probably won't cover the return shipping.
Have a beer and hit it with a hammer, I heard that works sometimes.:mug:

Yep the error code is eee which means I cant fix it. Im pretty sure I do have to pay return shipping. I just wanted bread soon

Yep the error code is eee which means I cant fix it. Im pretty sure I do have to pay return shipping. I just wanted bread soon

That sucks. I'm sorry I recommended it to you. I've never had any issues with ours though.

Not to derail the topic here but I've got a problem with my starter.

I've got one going and it smells like nail polish and has some peculiar white stuff on the top of it...sort of in a web like pattern. If I'm correct, lacto has taken over. It's been gradually getting worse the last few days so I've made it a point to scrape off the top before feeding it (usually daily, sometimes every other day if I'm not home).

Is there anything I can do at this point or is it a lost cause?

I've got one going and it smells like nail polish and has some peculiar white stuff on the top of it...sort of in a web like pattern. If I'm correct, lacto has taken over. It's been gradually getting worse the last few days so I've made it a point to scrape off the top before feeding it (usually daily, sometimes every other day if I'm not home).

What I would do to try to save it is pour everything off the top and very carefully scrape the top of the yeast cake - cleaning the spoon after every pass. Then try to obtain a sample of yeast from the bottom of the container (you really don't need too much) and place that sample into a new vessel. Feed this sample no more than the size of your sample for the first pass and grow it up each time adding fresh water/flour in equal size to the yeast cake. For example - if you have 1/2 C of yeast cake that you are about to feed add 1/2C of flour/water mixture to feed. Give this process a week and see how it goes.

Do you have any dried starter hanging around? I always keep dry starter in my pantry for such emergencies.

If you give up on it and want a starter PM me but Melana's idea should work.

I'd pretty much completely given up on making consistently good bread until I picked up the book "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" at a books-a-million this past weekend. My breads always came out dense and thick as a brick, but then I tried the recipe in this book and my breads have been coming out great.

Tricks I learned from the book.

Quit kneading the hell out of your bread: You really only need to mix up the basic dough and let it rise once. Don't punch it down, just divide out the dough you need and form the loaf.

You don't need to proof: The only proofing I do is to let the wet dough rest in a tupperwear bowl with a lid in my fridge. The longer it sits in the fridge, the better flavor it gets. I make enough dough for about four loaves a week and all I do is cut off a grapefruit sized hunk of dough, sprinkle it with flour so it won't stick immediately to my fingers and then shape it. That's it.

Second rise: It takes about 40 minutes.

Hot oven with steam: Crank that oven up to 450 and add a small baking pan to it. Preheat it thoroughly and slide the bread in (I use a pizza stone). Add a cup of hot water to the baking pan, put in your loaf and bake for 30 mins.

In 2009, the authors published the core recipe and techniques here, free to use. Just remember the 6-3-3-13 rule. Six cups very warm water, 3 tablespoons sea salt, 3 tablespoons dry yeast, 13 cups flour. That's enough dough for approx. 8 loaves of bread. You can scale it to 1/2 for smaller mixers.

I'd try Melana's advice. I had the nail polish smell when I was feeding mine Whole wheat. I'd had just about given up on it when it went away. I'm not sure what did it, but I do remember I kept a small amount and discarded the rest.

Isn't Sourdough starter Lactobacillus?

I only asked that question because Cheesy Goodness said lacto took over. When I was researching Sourdough Starters there were a ton of people recommending bread yeast to be used. I think that's a biga but I'm not sure.

Throw it in a ziplock or vacpac it if you got one. Mine is in the fridge but I don't think room temp storage would be an issue.
I have been running the same batch for over 10 years, never had an issue but I dry out some every few years just to be safe and share.

The things this thread makes me do. Starter started, dry starter to come soon.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392942463.292018.jpg

I have a mostly rye starter going, I fed some of my normal batch some rye a while ago and hadn't gotten back to it. I have fed it rye for the last couple nights and left it on the counter, not really sure how I'm going to progress i'll just play it by ear. Need to pick up more rye to continue.

Just made some dough with KABF, honey, olive oil, some harvested US-05 and I used the leftover cider on top of the cake for the liquid. I haven't ever tried using cider, but this was a really simple dry apple cider (no added sugars or flavoring, just fermented apple juice) so I figured it would be a good starting point. It was about 70% hydration. Going to let it bulk ferment in the fridge for 2 days (going out of town) and then bake it on Sunday. At least, that's the plan.

Back