Bulk grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
Ordered my first 50lb sack of grain, just basic 2-row pale. After the lhbs gave me a mill for $75 - under what they paid for it, I felt I needed to get some grain from them to go with it. $33.57 seem like a good price?

Now only if they carried more hop varieties.

if not 2-row what do they use, other bases or all specialty?... now thats an idea

It's mostly a winemaking-on-premises joint. He does make a lot of beer but he uses the Muntons kits as a base and adds DME to make up the fermentables. He does carry the standard specialty malts fortunately (chocolate, munich, roast barley, patent, carastan (crystal)) and not a bad selection of hops. Definitely not enough to fuel my brewery however and he knows it.

He's always been happy to order stuff in for me, but I have to pay the shipping. At that point I go to my usual (L)HBS 40 minutes away. They are a full on BOP and they have their own truck. So driving down there I can get whatever I want ordered in if they don't have it.

I don't understand why a place like that doesn't ask you if you want to tack on a bag or two each time they are ordering bags from the maltster, all on one pallet type of thing...

I don't think I could wait that long, he's about 6 months between orders. DME in vacuum bags keeps for quite a while.

I actually don't mind going down the other BOP place. The head brewer there is my age (28) and he loves to talk shop. I've rarely been there less than 2 hours. :D

Just keep looking around your area. I found a person who sells grain near for 25.00 a bag for the local grains from Great Western. Other grains from Germany and English are more. Never give up because there is always a better deal somewhere. The first time I bought I got several friends to buy so I got 8 bags the first time I bought.

There is actually a malter about 15 minutes north of me. I've been trying to track down their info to maybe arrange a bulk order for any HBT'ers in my area (not that I think there are many).

I'm not sure what all they carry but I know the wheat malt they have is actually Weyerman.

avidhomebrewer said:
i pay $40 for a 50# bag of 2-row. let me know if they ship to zip 53081!
Well mine is only $7 off, and I bet that would be made up for in the shipping, but yes they do ship... not sure how much internet business they get though.

My guy needs me to buy from him. He was talking to the guy from Paddockwood and the bulk ordering by clubs is driving the profits out of these guys carrying stock. My guy was also speculating that he could maybe make more money by letting the grains go and adding more of his other stock (he sells role playing game stuff). I reassured him that I would drop my plans of buying in bulk and continue to buy from him when he told me that I could buy sacks for $45. For me it's win - win, but just keep in mind that if you don't support your local guy, you may just lose him.

Fingers said:
...but just keep in mind that if you don't support your local guy, you may just lose him.
That's pretty unlikely given that he's a winemaking shop primarily (don't know what it's like out there, but wine on premises places out here seem to be a license to print money). That said I buy everything I can from him just for that very reason you mentioned. I just can't stomach $60 for 25KG of grain.

My lhbs doesn't stock the sacks, but it'll be in with the next shipment of supplies he receives. Also his 10lb prices are $14.40 so it's a much better deal in bulk.

bradsul said:
That's pretty unlikely given that he's a winemaking shop primarily (don't know what it's like out there, but wine on premises places out here seem to be a license to print money). That said I buy everything I can from him just for that very reason you mentioned. I just can't stomach $60 for 25KG of grain.

My mistake brad, I misread what you wrote. I was comparing your 40 minute drive to my 90 minute drive and thinking we were getting the same products. If I were in your shoes I'd do the same. I'm very fortunate to have a good AG HBS even 90 minutes away. We get to the city a couple of times a month so I usually have a big bag of goodness in the keezer waiting to be mashed.

My guy is heavy on the wine stuff too. I personally only brew the occassional wine for SWMBO and that's just from a kit. I just can't get as worked up over wine as I do for beer. I honestly don't know if there are any brew on premises in Winnipeg. It's really not something I'm interested in. I have a brew on premises right here at home. Works for me. :mug:

Fingers said:
My mistake brad, I misread what you wrote. I was comparing your 40 minute drive to my 90 minute drive and thinking we were getting the same products. If I were in your shoes I'd do the same. I'm very fortunate to have a good AG HBS even 90 minutes away. We get to the city a couple of times a month so I usually have a big bag of goodness in the keezer waiting to be mashed.

My guy is heavy on the wine stuff too. I personally only brew the occassional wine for SWMBO and that's just from a kit. I just can't get as worked up over wine as I do for beer. I honestly don't know if there are any brew on premises in Winnipeg. It's really not something I'm interested in. I have a brew on premises right here at home. Works for me. :mug:
It happens, no worries. I guess I won't complain about having to drive only 40 minutes now. :D

Regular price on 50 lbs of Schreier 2-row is $32. If you buy two sacks it's $30 per bag.

This month the LHBS is having a sale to clear out inventory $25 per sack. Time to pick up another. :D

Grain prices are to go up just like hops, so we all might want to stock up!

WBC said:
Just keep looking around your area. I found a person who sells grain near for 25.00 a bag for the local grains from Great Western. Other grains from Germany and English are more. Never give up because there is always a better deal somewhere. The first time I bought I got several friends to buy so I got 8 bags the first time I bought.
Can you post that source. My club frequently does club buys and usually sends someone up to LA/Riverside/Pomona (it's all the same to us) to pick up.
That's a great price!

I got my 55lb sack of pilsen for about $25. I also got 55lb sacks of munich and wheat malt for about the same price.

:rockin:

bradsul said:
There is actually a malter about 15 minutes north of me. I've been trying to track down their info to maybe arrange a bulk order for any HBT'ers in my area (not that I think there are many).

I'm not sure what all they carry but I know the wheat malt they have is actually Weyerman.

Hey Bradsul, are you talking about Sleeman? Where's this 40-minute drive HBS you go to?

I buy from a local brewery and I am able to get bags at around $20. I can also get hops extremely cheap, but limited on varieties. Everything else I get from my LHBS. I used to buy it all from him but $20 compared to $55 is a no brainer.

Cheers

WBC said:
He does not ship at all.

WBC-

I live very near Riverside.....can you give any info on your source? I'll be milling my own grains pretty soon, and $25/bag is pretty good!

My local HBS which is also a mail order/internet supplier, charges I think $53/bag for 50 pounds of American 2 row! Not really a great price. But shipping from the bigger guys like AHS or NB or Midwest will come out to about the same. I guess I can relate, real estate/overhead here is astronomical compared to those places.

I have seen numerous posts about prices going up on both grain and hops. I may have missed something but why is this? Is it because of the drought or does it always go up in the winter.

dataz722 said:
I have seen numerous posts about prices going up on both grain and hops. I may have missed something but why is this? Is it because of the drought or does it always go up in the winter.

A big part of it is that farmers have been converting their acreage from barley production to corn production, to feed the need for ethanol.

Wheat -- it went up to like $9.50 a few weeks back. Used to be about $4.
Supposedly worldwide demand, draughts in Auz/NZ, the ethanol thing Bird mentioned, etc., etc..

Back