Hog Slaughter and Smoke at My place. HBT people invited

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
damn that sounds good, too bad its too far away.

might have to stay at your cabin sometime though, looks fantastic

Oh, wow- I wish you were several hundred miles closer, as I would LOVE to come. I'd even bring the beer. :cross:

It sounds like a great time, and I am so jealous.

might have to stay at your cabin sometime though, looks fantastic

I only charge people who kick me out. If you want to crash, drink some homebrew and have some BBQ, well you and all other HBTs are welcome!

----

Most of my friends on Ratebeer are coming with a few locals. Nothing better than backyard hogs, applewood smoke and homebrew!

Wow. That sounds pretty cool. I wouldn't even mind if you decided to drug us all and then murder us with an axe and then chop us into pieces and then feed our body parts into a wood chipper - as long as the beer and food were good enough.

Wow. That sounds pretty cool. I wouldn't even mind if you decided to drug us all and then murder us with an axe and then chop us into pieces and then feed our body parts into a wood chipper - as long as the beer and food were good enough.

I do have 2 smokers and a meat curing room. Could probably fit a few bodies....wait what?

I used to rent my house out listed as "Cabin in the woods" then that damn horror movie came out so I renamed it. No connection I promise.

Wow man, that's awesome! If I lived out there, I'd surely come and bring some brews. I'm always down for for some BBQ and boy does your place look like a stellar spot.
The 27th is Surly Darkness Day here in the Cities, so we're having a little celebration of our own after getting our share of Darkness. :mug:

Wow man, that's awesome! If I lived out there, I'd surely come and bring some brews. I'm always down for for some BBQ and boy does your place look like a stellar spot.
The 27th is Surly Darkness Day here in the Cities, so we're having a little celebration of our own after getting our share of Darkness. :mug:

YAY Darkness Day. If you want to setup a trade for some Vermont stouts, I can send a few your way in exchange for a bottle. Message me if you have a bottle left over!

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Sent you a PM man. I really like your place too, we may have to come and stay sometime. Looks like it'd be a nice getaway!

Sweet! Will respond later. Would love to share the place. It's already hitting below freezing at night. Hope you don't mind cold!

:D We live in MN, cold's nothing new to us. I was thinking in the nice weather though, we like to do a lot of traveling, mostly outdoors, camping, cabins, etc. in the spring/summer. Hike, explore, enjoy a few beers around the campfire. Although.... it sounds like you have more than enough amenities to pass the cold winter days away.
We're planning a trip to Dallas this fall to see my family for Thanksgiving, but next time we're planning a family fun trip (we have two teenage boys), I may have to come out that way.

I just had a brilliant idea!!!!!!!!!!!

Nordeastbrewer can pick us all up!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, that's the ticket!

All wisconsinites meet in the middle, say Madison. And we'll all ride with him! :ban:

I just saw this! I DO have a van we could all pile into. :ban: Not Madison though, last time I drove through Madtown, I threw a rod in my tuner on the interstate. Not fun, nor cheap.

Huh. That's not TOO far from me, about two and a half hours. I drive that far to go see Paulie and the guys down there. You should post this in the MA forum, as well, or throw an invite in the MA-smacktalk thread. Something just tells me in the back of my head that I might have a commitment already on the 27th, I'll have to double-check.

You guys are cool. Thanks for the interest. If a van-trip happens, I'll need a head count so I can get sleeping arrangements and know how much extra stuff to buy to cover everyone.

I really wish I could man, it sounds like too much fun. But.... I'm guessing if I bailed on DD, people would frown on that. Now, if you can figure out a way to ship some of that hog with our trade, I'll take some of each. :ban: :tank:

I really wish I could man, it sounds like too much fun. But.... I'm guessing if I bailed on DD, people would frown on that. Now, if you can figure out a way to ship some of that hog with our trade, I'll take some of each. :ban: :tank:

Yeah, just send you a whole 8 pound of apple wood smoked bacon?

Maybe I can't send any bacon..that stuff is truly a commodity in our house hold.

Doubtful. Backyard slaughters happen all of the time and I live in an area with no sales tax, no income tax, no commercial or residential zoning, no building permits needed and no law on shooting guns on your property or anything like that.

Basically, as long as you're not hurting others, you can do whatever you want. These guys made a mistake but I doubt it'll affect our kill.

Huh. That's not TOO far from me, about two and a half hours. I drive that far to go see Paulie and the guys down there. You should post this in the MA forum, as well, or throw an invite in the MA-smacktalk thread. Something just tells me in the back of my head that I might have a commitment already on the 27th, I'll have to double-check.

If Bird comes, I'll feel pretty damn committed myself. :) If Paulie comes, I'll feel more than obligated.

Doubtful. Backyard slaughters happen all of the time and I live in an area with no sales tax, no income tax, no commercial or residential zoning, no building permits needed and no law on shooting guns on your property or anything like that.

Basically, as long as you're not hurting others, you can do whatever you want. These guys made a mistake but I doubt it'll affect our kill.

It was a joke..... :cool:

Not funny, that was one of my closest, dearest friends that got shot. His mother has no idea what to do with herself at the moment, nor does his brother, another good friend.

Sorry to hear that. I certainly don't want to turn this into any political debate. I know gun safety and handling of firearms isn't something to take lightly. For this situation though, you can only do the best you can to remain safe and take all precautions.

However, the alternative isn't all that much safer than doing it at home. A careless slaughter at home can often times be better than how the professionals do it.

http://www.nytimes.com/library/national/race/061600leduff-meat.html

An article from 2010 outlining illegal workers, PTSD, depression and severe health issues workers face in slaughterhouses.

I feel really good about doing this at home and taking all precautions.

Hey. Meat, right?

HOORAY!

porkbelly04.jpg

Yoop, are you just joking around, or did you leave a few extra dollars in this year's travel fund?

I have a little freedom, but I did pick up some shifts at the hospital so I might not have the time to do anything like this. but, boy, would I love to!

It must be a full two day drive each way for me, though. That means I'd have to be gone a week. Probably not able to swing that. :mad:

Well, you've always got a place to crash if you need one. That would be a pretty massive drive for you, though; I don't mind getting in the car, but it's what, eighteen hours between Adams and the UP?

I'm still probably 50/50. I don't see anything on the calendar, but I don't have that many more weekends to get things done before things freeze up. I've taken a few weekends "off" for beer stuff recently, I'm not sure I can do another. Is this going to be an every-year event?

Hey everyone. Just thought I'd mention too. If anyone isn't available to meet up, I have people at my place pretty much every 2-3 weeks. We do beer tastings, smoked brisket and my GF will bake for our guests. I have 2 spare bedrooms to crash in if you want.

So, I guess I'm just saying that if anyone has a time in mind to come up here whether it be ski season (we're already getting snow on the mountains), Fall foliage, harvest time or mid-summer for hiking, camping and hanging out at our nearby lakes.

Just thought I'd add that the invitation is always open to people just send me a PM. If you don't make this one, come another time!

These are some pics from one of my LA friends from last year's 4th of July - http://www.flickr.com/photos/fittorrent/sets/72157627118296542/with/5902726415/. I think we hosted 20-30 people through out the day and 12 or so crashed here some in tents, etc.

Back