primary fermenters with spigots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cardiac_cadet002

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question but you know what they say, "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people" HA! I love that. Where was I? Oh yeah.......

I have some 4 gallon buckets that I got from a local bakery and would like to use them as primary fermenters for smaller batches. Is it ok to drill and fit a spigot on these so that way when its time to bottle, all I have to do is attach the proper hose and turn the valve..........no siphoning worries. What kind of sanitation issues would there be for this? I was thinking when you initally sanitize the bucket, you can drain the sanitizer through the spigot and when it come time to bottle, you could spray some sanitizer solution up into the spigot. If anyone has ever done this, I would like to hear how its worked for you. You guys rock!!!!:mug:

This pops up every so often. Some people love their better bottles with spigots, but really I prefer to rack off the secondary. Just seems cleaner to me.

When I first started, my LHBS guy said NOT to use a spigot on the primary, due to sanitary issues.

Well, I used a racking cane twice, then said FTS.

Do brew pubs, micros, or the big guys use racking canes ? NO !!!

They use valves (very clean and sanitary ones).

Make sure you clean and sanitize the inside of the valves. I started with the plastic ones, now I'm using S/S on everything.

I forgot to ask if one of the liquid crystal thermometers you would use for an aquarium would work on a plastic bucket?

It would but the range is too high for what brewers are looking for.

Latest posts

Back