Pin lock vs. ball lock kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceejengine

Reaction score
I tried searching through the forums, but didn't have much luck (or just didn't hit on the right search terms)- so if this has already been discussed ad nauseum, my apologies!

I'm getting ready to convert my Sankey kegerator to one using Corney kegs, and have been researching what I would need. What I haven't been able to figure out is if there's a difference between going pin or ball lock. I know I need different fittings for the kegs themselves, but are there any advantages/disadvantages to going one route or another?

Thanks for the help!

It has more to do with which kegs you'll get and continue to get moving forward. All new corny kegs are ball lock. IF you have some pin lock kegs on hand, then you might want to try and get some more. But, if you're going from none, probably better off going ball lock.

It all has to do with how the connections are made/secured to the kegs themselves. Also, you'll need a special socket to take the pin lock keg posts off, where the ball lock kegs use a standard socket (12 point either 11/16" or 7/8").

Personally, when I get into kegging, I'll be going all ball lock. For one thing, I don't think you can find 3 gallon pin lock kegs. That will be the size I use a lot. I'd rather have a single type of connections for the kegs, and not need to worry about either swapping them out, or allocating specific taps for either keg fitting style...

The kegs are different sizes, so if you have a space issue that might cause you to go with one over the other. I had a mix and finally sold off the pins as I didn't want to have both kinds. I like the way the pin QD engages on the post, but I did not like not having the pressure relief on the lid.

The kegs are different sizes, so if you have a space issue that might cause you to go with one over the other. I had a mix and finally sold off the pins as I didn't want to have both kinds. I like the way the pin QD engages on the post, but I did not like not having the pressure relief on the lid.

This.

Pinlocks are slightly shorter and noticeably fatter.

Some pin-lock do have a pressure relief on the lid. I have one, but it doesn't have the manual release that the ball-lock ones do.

I also got the threaded fittings instead of the barbed ones, so my lines can connect to both ball-lock and pin-lock connectors

I'm definitely going to be using the threaded fittings (I'm planning on using a conversion kit on my Sankey taps to keep everything compatible).

It just seems like pin-locks are more available (or at least, are cheaper) right now- but I might not be looking in the right place! :)

cornykeg.com has a cheap conversion set to put ball lock posts on pin lock kegs. i think its like 11 bucks per pair of posts. I may down the line change to ball lock, but right now my 8 pin locks work fine.

The one thing i like better about ball lock is that the disconnects won't "slip" off if they get twiseted. With pin locks, due to the spring pressure, if your disconnect gets tweaked the right direction it will just pop off. (atleast mine do that from time to time)

Beyond that, both serve beer about the same i think... that's what really mattered to me.

I think it basically comes down to the size issue. The slightly larger diameter of the pin locks may not seem like much, but it can definitely make a difference how many kegs you can fit into your keezer or kegerator. Of course you also need to keep in mind that the ball locks are taller, which in some cases could force you to go with pin locks if you don't have the height for ball locks.

That all makes sense (especially the size issue)- I don't suppose anyone knows off-hand if the height/width difference comes into play in an upright (freezer on top) fridge (my current kegerator setup)?

Headed to the LHBS this weeked, and hopefully will return with the needed parts to make the switch :)

Well glad to see that I just got a cheap pin lock for my first keg set. Comes with a 7LB CO2 tank.

Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread or not, but I am thinking about kegging (mostly for the flavor, bottling drops are adding a strange after taste) and am looking for the right freezer to put the kegs in. Does anyone have the fully plumbed dimensions of a pin lock and ball lock. So far I'm leaning towards ball lock, but it has to fit.

Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread or not, but I am thinking about kegging (mostly for the flavor, bottling drops are adding a strange after taste) and am looking for the right freezer to put the kegs in. Does anyone have the fully plumbed dimensions of a pin lock and ball lock. So far I'm leaning towards ball lock, but it has to fit.

Try this link. https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNEMTkpwJpNhYWzKw6uyzQjeJmQYcg.

Or try this link. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sizing-your-chest-freezer-corny-kegs-75449/

They both give a lot of details that you will want to read before buying the freezer.

Lots of great info here.

Hey so I just got these keg connectors and am wondering if anyone knows if they are ball or pin lock. I am starting to collect items to start kegging, so I am new to this as I've been bottling for years. I think the are ball lock, there is a ball inside, so makes sense to think that, but just want to confirm.

Here are the pics.

IMG_3585.jpg

IMG_3586.jpg

Hey so I just got these keg connectors and am wondering if anyone knows if they are ball or pin lock. I am starting to collect items to start kegging, so I am new to this as I've been bottling for years. I think the are ball lock, there is a ball inside, so makes sense to think that, but just want to confirm.

Here are the pics.

Those appear to be sanke couplers.

Like Ruvort said; that's Sanke (used for commercial kegs). Corny keg ball/pin lock connectors are smaller, and have separate gas & liquid connectors.

EDIT: Here's what ball/pin lock look like:
Pin-Lock-vs-Ball-Lock-Posts-and-Disconnects.jpg

That makes sense then considering they were given to me and the guy worked at a sports stadium. So are commercial kegs much larger i'm going to assume? I'm looking to convert a mini fridge into a double keg/tap kegerator.

Thanks for all the input. Too hard to get around here unfortunately, and although I know you can convert Cornelius keg into sanke connections, I think I'm just going to sell these connections and go the cornelius option. Seems the better route for me in all aspects even though it will cost a bit extra.

Back