Question about FG and stopped fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakedawgs

Reaction score
HI,
I brewed a stout recipe as follows
7# DME
couple # of specialty grains
hops

I failed to notice that the final volume in the fermenter should have been 5.5 gal and I only topped off to 5 gal. Fine no big deal.

My OG was 1.079 as opposed to 1.070 target if 5.5 gals used. Now, after about 9 days, my gravity is 1.024, and has held there for 2 1/2 days. This gives me an attenuation of about 70%.

Am I done or should I do something to fire the yeast up again? I just don't want to bottle too early.
Thanks,
Lakedawgs

Nine days is not enough, especially for a beer with a high OG like that. Wait 3-4 weeks total and then test the gravity. Be patient and brew another batch.

Well, depending on the yeast used you are probably OK for attenuation. A popular yeast used for stouts is WLP004 and it's attenuation range is 69% - 74% so for that yeast 70% is right in the middle!

I think you are good to go however I recommend keeping your beer in the primary for at least 3 weeks before bottling/kegging! Makes for better beer but you don't have to take my word for it!

I would need more info to tell anything definitive from this. What kind of dme (light, dark, amber)? What specialty grains and exactly how much? What yeast? What fermentation profile? There are a lot of factors here. If you're worried raise the temp and gently swirl the fermenter to get the yeast back in suspension and then check in another week.

Really not worried, just wondering at this point. I used Safebrew US05 yeast.
I have been considering a light swirl, very carefully, I might do that.
I'm figuring another week minimum fermenting. If no change in gravity, I will bottle.

Really not worried, just wondering at this point. I used Safebrew US05 yeast.
I have been considering a light swirl, very carefully, I might do that.
I'm figuring another week minimum fermenting. If no change in gravity, I will bottle.

I wouldn't swirl it! So5 isn't very flocculant- you have plenty of yeast in suspension. No sense risking oxidizing a beer that is perfectly fine. If the SG is the same next week, bottle it. My favorite stout always finishes at 1.018-1.020.

I cannot disagree with that. The ABV is there, so no harm in letting it sit.
Just wondering though. Even a light swirl, with no 'agitation' can cause oxidaton? That is interesting.
THanks,
Lakedawgs

DO NOT SWIRL IT!!! Chances are good that you'll introduce oxygen to the beer. Although that's not something to lose sleep over, it could reduce the shelf life of the beer. 70% is probably about it for the yeast but that doesn't mean that they're totally done chewing on the tougher sugars. Let it sit for another week (or longer) to allow the yeast to work longer on some of those tougher sugars that can produce off flavors and/or instability.

I guess I don't understand how swirling a beer that has a blanket of co2 over is going to introduce any oxygen. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the logic there.

Latest posts

Back