Beer Machine - Good Use and Good Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFrick

Reaction score
I was thinking about what more I could do with the Beer Machine that originally got me into brewing. This last weekend I brewed this specialty grain and extract recipe in there:

2 lbs Bulk Light LME
1 lb Extra Light DME
½ lb Pilsner Malt
1 oz Warrior Hops
1 oz Saaz Hops
Nottingham Dry Yeast

Followed normal brewing procedure and then dumped it all in the Beer Machine and pitched the yeast dry.

Already lots of fermentation and slowing down a little. Just tasted it and it is right on the money taste-wise just two days after pitching.

I have realized there are several nice things about the Beer Machine
1. You can taste the beer easily, just tap some off and let the head settle then test away with the hydrometer and taste some too.
2. It gives you the PSI in the keg and lets you pump in CO2 if you want to.
3. Since it is closed it captures all the natural carbonation if you brew with it.
It will hold a steady 15 PSI and release all the extra CO2 past that, then reabsorb into the beer when cooled.

The next time I brew this smaller recipe I plan to brew it to an almost complete primary and then put it in the Beer Machine to act like a keg and force carb it instead of priming with anything. I will also do this when my Cyser finishes and then back sweeten it, stick it in the Beer Machine in the fridge and force carb it for sweet sparkling cyser. :fro:

Thought I would share my ideas and experiences with this kit since it is what I started with. I know lots of brewers out there probably have them just sitting around gathering dust with no idea what to use them for now since they are "serious" brewers at this point. Get em out and experiment, it's a system with merit if you invest a little time and ingenuity in it.

Brewfrick,

I too have done somehting similar. I got a beer machine for Christmas and have been "experimenting" with method and ingredients. I have tried the "Beer Mixes" that came included with the kit, used it as perscribed and made an evaluation;

Beer was not awful, but lacked depth, character and full flavor. I knew whay this was and decided to try it a different way.

Next mix I treated differently with time. Instead of 5 in primary, I let it go a full seven days. I racked it to another container (a Mr. Beer fermenter) and let it clarify for nearly two weeks. Bottles that whole batch with corn sugar and it's been sitting for a week so far. Hindsight shows that I should have taken advantage of he CO2 build up that happened during primary and stuck it into the fridge for some natural carbing. Nonetheless, I opened one bottle last night and was astounded by the clarity from the secondary transfer and the carb from dextrose. SO overall, the results look promising.

Now, last week I bought a kit from the LHBS for a sweet stout with grains for a "mini-mash" recipe. The guy up there in the shop was cool to "customize" the kit to a half batch measure. Went home, did a boil etc etc, just like the directions for a full batch would have been for any other kit or system. Then, chilled, aerated and pitched a full vial of WL ale yeast. It finished primary in about 6 days and I now have it in the fridge absorbing the CO2 so that I can have some natural carb. I tasted a 4oz sample last night and it also is right on the money! Color, etc etc. I will wait it out for a few days, rack to a secondary for clarification then bottle at two weeks. All in all, it's a cool little keg system with a pressure gauge and force carbing unit if you don't want to brew 5 gallons every time.

No one said that you had to use it the way the Beer Machine people say, and since I have recieved it as a gift, I may as well make it work for the money my wife paid for it until I see fit to move on. Good for you!!

I use my little mr. beer kegs all the time. They don't have any carbing potential, of course, but they're nice for Turbo Cider or something light that's not going to need a secondary.

Actually, I picked another one up at Bed Bath and Beyond last month. Somebody gave it to their alcoholic friend for Christmas and he was smart enough to take it back for a refund. Anyway, it ended up on the clearance table--originally 49.95, i got it for $17. I proceeded to make the IPA they have in their recipe book. It'll be interesting to see how it comes out. Mr. Beer has major limitations, but when I first used their system the biggest problem was the idiot doing the brewing. We'll see how it comes out with less "human error".

Monk said:
Actually, I picked another one up at Bed Bath and Beyond last month. Somebody gave it to their alcoholic friend for Christmas and he was smart enough to take it back for a refund.

That's just funny to me.

hahahah, what a great present for an alcoholic! atleast it would teach him patience with alcohol.. or maybe he would RDWHAHB into a coma...

:mug:

I got a beer machine for christmas too. And i already new how to brew. So when i looked at the directions and it said ferment 5 days then in to a fridge for 7 then drink, i said no wayam i following that. I ferment 14 days then add gelatin then into the fridge fora few days then drink. Also their lager beer kit that came with their standard ale yeast was not used. I used real lager yeast am fermenting in a cold room for 4 weeks. I also boiled some hops to add to the batch for some charicter. I also purchased a Miller home draft system for 18 bucks and i will be using that as a tap a draft. Plus its nice to have something to drink while im waiting

I was thinking about what more I could do with the Beer Machine that originally got me into brewing. This last weekend I brewed this specialty grain and extract recipe in there:

2 lbs Bulk Light LME
1 lb Extra Light DME
½ lb Pilsner Malt
1 oz Warrior Hops
1 oz Saaz Hops
Nottingham Dry Yeast

Followed normal brewing procedure and then dumped it all in the Beer Machine and pitched the yeast dry.

Already lots of fermentation and slowing down a little. Just tasted it and it is right on the money taste-wise just two days after pitching.

I have realized there are several nice things about the Beer Machine
1. You can taste the beer easily, just tap some off and let the head settle then test away with the hydrometer and taste some too.
2. It gives you the PSI in the keg and lets you pump in CO2 if you want to.
3. Since it is closed it captures all the natural carbonation if you brew with it.
It will hold a steady 15 PSI and release all the extra CO2 past that, then reabsorb into the beer when cooled.

The next time I brew this smaller recipe I plan to brew it to an almost complete primary and then put it in the Beer Machine to act like a keg and force carb it instead of priming with anything. I will also do this when my Cyser finishes and then back sweeten it, stick it in the Beer Machine in the fridge and force carb it for sweet sparkling cyser. :fro:

Thought I would share my ideas and experiences with this kit since it is what I started with. I know lots of brewers out there probably have them just sitting around gathering dust with no idea what to use them for now since they are "serious" brewers at this point. Get em out and experiment, it's a system with merit if you invest a little time and ingenuity in it.

I realize this is an old, OLD thread, but I was wondering if you had any other recipes that you used for your Beer Machine. I'm sure you've moved on to bigger and better by now, but
I've had one for years and i still use it, but I'm tired of ordering hit or miss "mixes". And their prices are getting a little too high also. I don't think they'll be in business much longer either. Just seems that way.
So I want to try using it with other home brew ingredients.
I've talked to the guy at my local brew supply place and he never heard of The Beer Machine. Or so he says. Lol
I've done several internet searches over the years and very very little info pops up on the "beer machine".
They weren't very popular, and are kinda finicky (especially getting a good seal) and I suppose most people made a batch or two and gave up.

If you know of any other good recipes to use in this thing or other links it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Craig.

Back