Fixing a mistake by making sausage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B0whunt3r

Reaction score
So here's what happened, My wife asked me to brine some chicken breasts, she told me the recipe. I swear she said 1 cup of salt and she swears she said 1/4 cup of salt. Any way I added a whole cup which was way to much and the grilled chicken turned out really salty. I didn't want to throw away 4 lbs of chicken. So i thought I could grind it up and add it to a batch of venison sausage I'm going to be making as filler. I've haven't seen any recipies using cooked meat in any recipe, any thoughts?

You could try soaking it in just plain water and changing the water every few hours. That will pull some of the salt out. How long did you brine it and how much water? 1 cup shouldn't have been too much, but it is highly dependent on the type of salt. When making a brine it really is best to weigh it because the type and even brand of salt can have drastically different densities.

I would guess that you brined it too long, used table salt and didn't rinse it after taking out of the brine.

I would NOT add it to the sausage. Both chicken sausage and venision sausage need more FAT added to them. You would also be running into potential cross contamination problems and they both have different cooking temps.

It was a cup of sea salt to about 2 quarts of liquid for about 48 hrs. I rinsed it, but maybe not good enough.

I plan on adding pork to the sausage for fat with the chicken. And the Chickin is already cooked so I don't think cooking temps should be a problem

If it is already cooked then there really isn't much that can be done. A cup is a little much for 2 quarts but not a ton too much. On the other hand though the 48 hours is about 45 hours too long. Small cuts like that I will only brine for 1-2 hours and 3 at the max.

Chalk it up to experience and give it to the dog or toss it outside for the animals. Everyone screws up and makes something inedible from time to time. Hell, I just did tonight with a teriyaki sauce. Thank god I tasted it before I put it on the chicken.

Could always grind it up and use it in something else (other than sausage). You can cook some more chicken with no salt, grind that up too, and use both of those to make a chicken dip/pureed chicken salad. With both ground and mixed, it should meld. I'm not entirely sure though. So test with a single piece first.

Back