Alpha Acid of home grown hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fromhereon

Reaction score
I couldn't find anything on this anywhere so sorry if it has already been answered. But if i were to grow my own hops how would I determine the alpha acid percentage. I assume this is something you have to find out from supplier. But would this stay the same every year. I am very interested in growing hops but if i did not know the alpha acid, How would I dertermine the bitterness of the beer, or keep it consistant.

Unless you're willing to spend a lot of money to have them tested, you won't know the exact AA, I just guess and use an average for the strain.

Ok thanks. But do you know if the AA of the plant will stay the same over time, or will I have to change my recipe when i harvest more hops?

Thanks again

AA is dependent on soil nutrient, light, and water. Something only the heavens can control lest you are in a basement.

Tis' why every year the alpha changes.

Yes, yes, and yes. It is guaranteed to change.

On a field of cascades we have, the alpha from year 1 to 3 went from low 4% up to almost 6%.

How you dry and store them will effect it. How long its stored will also. Don't sweat the details too much. just estimate, use and adjust for the next time.

So, . . . . as a homwbrewer, who grows his own hops, I see no need to test for specific alpha acid of my hops. Do the commercial hops get blended in any way before AA testing? Like when they are pelletized, etc. Or do they take an average of a certain amount of samples?

I simply use an average value for commercial hops and aim my IBUs at the middle of the style range. If this conflicts with your OCD, just use homegrown for flavor and aroma. Oil levels are much more consistent than AA%.

What OCD? "turns around three times and taps the bottom of his left foot with his right index finger while slapping his head with the other hand":rockin:

I use the suggested average that was labled on my plant when I use a recipe program and don't care when I'm drinking. In fact when brew snobs ask me about the alpha I love to go, "I dunno! I these are homegrown." It's almost like saying, "You can't brew this dude." Which I find amusing.

Back