which yeast should i use for a pliny clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew300

Reaction score
I am going to be making a pliny the elder clone from abs and the two yeast options are liquid wyeast american ale 1056 and the dry danstar nottingham. I was debating on which one to use? It says filtration is necessary for the wyeast which i do not have the equipment to do that. What do you guys think? Also, if I choose the danstar, would I need to pitch 2 packets or just 1? Thanks.

okay, i will use the 1056 and use a big starter. i dont have filtering capabilities. would it be okay to not filter it and just add irish moss towards end of boil? this is what is says on the wyeast site "Normally requires filtration for bright beers. DE or pad filtration recommended. "

Don't use Nottingham. Wrong flavor profile. Use California yeast for sure

I would go for the nottingham if you have the ability to ferment between 62 and 67 degrees. White Labs 001, US-05 and Nottingham are virtually indistinguishable if properly fermented. The difference being that nottingham will attenuate a little bit better, floculate a little better but it won't tolerate high temps well.

Nottingham has gotten a bad reputation because of the recall, but it is IMO, one of the best all around yeasts available if you properly control the fermentation temperature.

It's really funny, because the every popular sierra nevada strain is a mutation of nottingham............... also...nottingham does not require filtration for bright beers...it drops like a rock and sticks to the bottom of the fermenter like glue.

I would go for the nottingham if you have the ability to ferment between 62 and 67 degrees. White Labs 001, US-05 and Nottingham are virtually indistinguishable if properly fermented. The difference being that nottingham will attenuate a little bit better, floculate a little better but it won't tolerate high temps well.

Nottingham has gotten a bad reputation because of the recall, but it is IMO, one of the best all around yeasts available if you properly control the fermentation temperature.

It's really funny, because the every popular sierra nevada strain is a mutation of nottingham............... also...nottingham does not require filtration for bright beers...it drops like a rock and sticks to the bottom of the fermenter like glue.

+1. Preach on brotha

The real thing isn't even remotely clear so I wouldn't sweat yeast choice based on floculation.

Use cal-ale and then fine with gelatin if you're concerned about clarity. Before RR opened their new brewery they fined Pliny with gelatin (they still use it to fine their beers from the brewpub).

Back