1L vs 2L starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpdb185

Reaction score
i recently acquired a lab quality stir plate from my brother-in-law and i've used it for 1 starter so far. with that one, i just used 2 vials of yeast and made a 1L starter, mostly because i didn't know what i was doing. for my next batch, Mr Malty says i can use 2 vials for a 1L or use 1 vial for a 2L. with the 1L starter i made, i just let it go on the stir plate for about 18-20hrs then pitched (worked great). with a 2L, would i just put the whole 2L on the stir plate for 18-24hrs, or would i need to do 1 day at 1L and another day at 2L to step it up? what's the difference in doing a 1L vs 2L starter? thanks!

okay. is the amount of time needed on the stir plate different, or would 18-24 hrs followed by another day of resting be enough? should it be longer than 18-24 hrs since you're needing the yeast to increase by 200% instead of 50% or is that the purpose of increasing the DME?

It is just like fermenting a beer, the is no "Set" number of hours. It is done when it is done you must check. I like to go 24-36 hours then I will shut the stir plate off and look with a flash light and see if I can see and activity. I know this is not very scientific but it works for me. You need to get to know your yeast and how it works. You will learn as time goes on and you just get the Zen feeling and you gut will tell you, Yeah it's done. You can also put it in the fridge for a day to cool crash it as well.

If you are planning on pitching the entire starter, then it is better to pitch at high krausen. Going any longer is just fermenting the starter not growing more yeast.

2 liter starters work great with a single vial of yeast. I usually let it go 2-3 days. I refrigerate overnight and decant the liquid. 2 liters is a lot of extra liquid to add to your beer.

Another option you get with larger starters is banking a small portion of the yeast for the next starter. You can put a pint or so of the starter in a sterilized mason jar. Of course, you do this when the yeast is still in suspension, before cold crashing. Refrigerate this yeast for up to a few months and you can make another starter without buying more yeast.

I use a single packet of Wyeast & about 1800 ML of starter (2 qts water to 8 oz LME). On the stirplate for 24-36 hours. It will thicken and the stir plate magnet will get thrown or stop and the flask will need to be swirled to loosen things up 1-2 times during the 24-48 hours but it will get going again. I direct pitch the contents into the cooled wort (ale) or chill it down to about 50' (lager). Never had a problem with my yeast since I have done it this way & my beer has turned out fantastic. Montanaandy

A good starter sure reduces the start time for fermentation, too. I brewed a stout this afternoon and pitched the yeast at about 3:30pm. 6 1/2 hrs later, I have visible krausen and a bubbling airlock. I call that "Happy Beer."

I have asked the same question and have done both. I have found that I get better results stepping the starter up. I usually start with a 1000ml starter then the next day bump it up to 2000ml...if I am brewing a lager I go to even 3000-4000ml. Always have had good results.

alright, i guess i'll try leaving it on the stir plate for about 2 days then cold crash, decant, and pitch. hopefully i'll start getting the hang of all this before long. thanks for the help.

Back