First bottle of my Black IIPA...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brrman

Reaction score
OMG this is heaven... and aptly named Heavenly Scourge Black IIPA...
The head is like playdoh and sticks around for 10 minutes or more... amazing.
This really is a style that has surprised me...

Excuse the crappy iphone photo...

1st_Bottle.jpg

Here we go - now also in My Recipes section...

Heavenly Scourge Black IPA
Imperial Black IPA

Heavenly_Scourge_Black_IPA.jpg

Beersmith File HERE

Taste Notes:
A very creamy IPA with trace notes of roast, but checked with a very forward Amarillo and Centennial hops presence. Balanced bitterness and smooth to drink. My most favorite beer I have ever created.

Brewer: Brrman
Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.92 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients
Grains
15.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 88.57 %
1.00 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 5.71 % (last 10 mins of mash)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.71 %
Hops
3.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 110.4 IBU
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (1 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial (ReadHouse) [8.80 %] (0 min) Hops -
2.00 oz Centennial (ReadHouse) [8.80 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
Other
1 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter 1500 ml]

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.080 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.01 %
Bitterness: 112.3 IBU
Calories: 369 cal/pint

Mash Profile
Total Grain Weight: 17.50 lb
Mash at 154.0 F for 60 min

Notes
Indianapolis Water Additions:
Cut mash with 50% Distilled water...
CaCL2: 4/5 tspn (3 grams)
CaSO4: 3/4 tspn (3 grams)

I did not want too much of the roast character of the carafa... No idea if it worked or not since I have never brewed it with the carafa for the full 60 mins... I use a HERMS system so it did not take long for the recirculated wort to become black after adding the carafa. You would need to sir it a lot if you batch sparge i would think - or just add it for the full mash time.

I've heard that to avoid the roast character you use Carafa Special. Carafa special has been de-husked so that's why you don't get the roast character. Your recipe uses Carafa III. Do you know if that is the de-husked one?

That looks phenomenal. This recipe is definitely going on my short list of upcoming brews...

I've heard that to avoid the roast character you use Carafa Special. Carafa special has been de-husked so that's why you don't get the roast character. Your recipe uses Carafa III. Do you know if that is the de-husked one?

I am pretty sure that it is. It's the same grain used in The Bruery's Black Orchard (a black wit of sorts).

looks tasty man. might have to try something along these lines someday. thanks for sharing.

It's amazing how much color comes out of just one pound of the Carafa. Where did you find the Carafa? None of my LHBS carry it. Did you mail order?

yeah, my LHBS didnt have it - I ordered it from Brewmaster's Warehouse if I recall...

I made a similar brew using a 10 minute steep of black patent and it turned out amazing. I've heard so many positive things about using carafa III special that i'm desperate to get my hands on some... BW's flat rate might come in handy after all...

That is a BEAUTIFUL beer, and it sounds delicious, definitely putting this on the list.

Nice! Have you compared it to Stone's Anniversary XI or Sublimely Self-Righteous yet?

what are some commercial versions of this style? I've never heard or nor seen it before...

Stone, Laughing Dog, Southern Tier, and Iron Horse are the breweries that I've heard put out bottled versions of this style.

Hopworks, Rogue, Speakeasy, 21st Amendment, Pizza Port, Cascade Brewing, 4th St Brewing, Oakshire, Three Creeks, Block 15, Deschutes and several other small breweries have put out this style in kegs.

Many breweries in Oregon are calling this style "Cascadian Dark Ale" so as to create a Pacific Northwest style.

Back