Making Root beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbowler

Reaction score
I thought there was a Soda section...
maybe I'm missing something.
ANYWAY making Root Beer with my 6 year old, should be fun.
Ozark Extract kit and Champaigne yeast.
Dumb Question, why will this not turn alcoholic?
I assume it's something with the Sugars,

You kill off the yeast before it has a chance to make any by puting it in the fridge. dont let it go to long or it WILL make bottle bombs and be very yeasty.
JJ

The trick is, you chill the yeast once they have carbonated the soda. This happens at about 0.25% ABV.

Yes you could. It won't be as sweet, but non-alcoholic malt beverages were quite the thing 100 years ago.

Vermicous said:
Goya still makes a malt soda, called "Malto" or something like that.

It's called "Malta."
When I brewed my first batch and my wife had a taste on bottling day she thought it tasted like malta (it wsn't hoppy at all).
She's of latin decent.

Tommy

awesome,
sounds like a fun little thing to do with the kids, and an excuse to go to the Local Homebrew supply store.

VERY easy, mix in the extract and sugar, dump in the Red Star and bottle in a 2 liter for 3-4 days, when the 2 Liter is hard, put it in the fridge.

DON'T use glass bottles for soda. Do a search for PET bottles. A lot safer than shards of flying glass if you get any bottle bombs.

John

You can make malta by carbonating unfermented wort. I had Guinness Malta a few weeks ago and it tasted like brew-day. Pretty good, though difficult to be clean enough to make at home.

The easiest way, (and safest) to carbonate root beer, is to use dry ice.

Use it in a cooled liquid, and do NOT cap it up. If your root beer is cool enough, enough Co2 will dissolve to carbonate properly. The root beer needs to be almost at freezing, to work properly.

You can also force carbonate, in a keg. (If you have the equipment.)

steve

Back