looks like a job for isinglass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G. Cretin

Reaction score
Sorry about the spelling. So on my last batch I forgot to get irishmoss and I was wondering if I could use isinglass to clear my beer and how to do so. BTY it's only been in primary for 4 days.

You can certainly use isinglass as a fining agent in the secondary. I'd advise against using it in the primary as most of the trub and junk will settle out anyways and make it less effective.

Also, I forgot who said this, but I'm definitely going to try it on my next batch:

someone on this board said:
Take 2 teaspoons of gelatin, unflavored, and dissolve it in 1/2 to 3/4 cup of boiled water.

Cool it down well, and with a sanitized Turkey Baster or spray bottle, gently drop it equally around the entire surface of the batch. As always, sanitation is key so pay attention!

In 2 days, your beer will be crystal clear.

When doing the siphon out to bottle or keg, leave the last 1/4 inch in the bottom.

Be careful how much fining agent you use. I've read elsewhere that a guy's beer ended up bland and body-less batch after batch. It turns out, he was using gelatin to clear the beer, and the theory was, it was not only clearing the beer, but stripping out some of the body and flavor.

I use irish moss, and have some gelatin which I might use in my american pilsner, but otherwise, I don't like to use any clarifying agents in my beer. I let age and the secondary clear them naturally.

Too much finings will strip the proteins that give beer mouthfeel and body. You can turn red wine into white with too much gelatin! A very strange tasting white.

Reinheitsgebot! It's the only way!

Oder, vee vill kome to your haus und trink your bier before you put zees nasty tings in der.

I personally don't care about the haze but this beer was a request by SWMBO so it needs to be clear.

Irish Moss is used to coagulate proteins during the boil, which cause chill haze.

Gelatine & Isinglass are used to pull out yeast which contribute to haze at any temperature and is generally used in the secondary. These will both work well if you keg your beer, but you are just speeding up what will naturally happen - the yeast will fall out of suspension eventually. If you've got Isinglass, make sure it's good quality stuff. Usually it's mixed with some beer from the secondary then added back with a gentle stir. These two finings DO NOT strip flavour if used in the proper (small) amounts.

If yeast haze is not a problem, you can add some polyclar or activated silica gel to the secondary to help with chill haze. They comply with Reinheitsgebot as far as I know because they're not present in the finished beer (they fall to the bottom of the fermenter).

You could also crash cool your secondary/keg in a fridge which will help with both kinds of haze. Although this will take several weeks.

So what would you do to clear it? I mean hell this is the X-mass brew so time is not really a factor. But I plan on botteling this one.

My suggestion would be to wait until the primary fermentation is done and the krausen has fallen, or 2 weeks, whichever comes first. Then transfer the batch to a secondary. Let it sit there for 3-4 weeks. (take a hydrometer reading after a couple weeks to see if your beer is at its final gravity) If you want to add fining agents to the beer, do so a week or so before you bottle. (and don't go crazy with it, use it sparingly.) Rack it to the bottling bucket, prime it, stir it gently to mix the priming solution in, and bottle that sucker.

I don't know about what mysterio says... all I know is that there was a person on another board that was complaining that all his beers (regardless of style) ended up with no body and kinda bland. He tried everything to solve the problem, and eventually concluded that the 2 spoons of gelatin he was adding to all his beer was stripping the body and flavor out of it. But the beer sure was clear!!!

By the way... from what I've found on various brewing websites, gelatin seems to be the fining that strips the flavor the most. If you use it, use it in very small doses. Me... I'd rather have a hazy beer that tastes good then to have a crystal clear beer with no body or flavor.

Time is your best friend when it comes to clear homebrew. You could filter it, but that's a big PITA and tends to be expensive. Just use about a teaspoon (no less then 1/2) of Irish moss during the last few minutes of the boil, let the active fermentation take place, then rack to a secondary (also more accurately called a clearing tank) and let things settle out there. Be careful not to disturb any of the sediment prior to bottling, and don't bottle the last inch or so of beer.

:off: That last bit of beer when shaken up with the yeast sediment (after you harvest some yeast for the next batch) makes great plant food!

Actually most finings are OK under Reinheitsgebot.

I seriously doubt Gelatin could ever stip enough of anything to effect flavor or head retention. It's barely adequate as a fining in the first place. That said, you do not need to cool it down after it has disolved. Just dump it in the carboy. Works best when the beer has been prechilled to lager temps (or in the fridge over night.)

I've used gelatin in a few batches and I have never noticed any flavour loss. Isinglass is a more effective fining, however.

I'll say this again though - neither do the same job as irish moss which combats protein haze. Leave it in the secondary for a week or two then add polyclar and chill the secondary down if possible.

Amen. I don't make beer to look good, I make it to taste good. If you do everything right, it will, but big deal. I have yet to read anything that said a beer tasted bad because it was a little cloudy. Do you buy a cd for the artwork, or for the music?

ruppe said:
Amen. I don't make beer to look good, I make it to taste good. If you do everything right, it will, but big deal. I have yet to read anything that said a beer tasted bad because it was a little cloudy. Do you buy a cd for the artwork, or for the music?
While I agree, this is beer for the wife so it needs to look as good as it taste.

I end up filtering any beer that will be poured at a fest, competition, or for noobs. As was said, Moss, crashing and time together are the simplest ways to clear a beer.

i'm currently making cider, and my last batch had a slight haze, and to me, a slightly yeasty flavor (although my girlfriend/brewing partner didn;t notice) after a month or two in bottles, now, 10 months later, it's crystal clear and the aftertaste is gone, but this batch we're starting on Friday i am thinking of using isinglass in the secondary, will it affect my carbonation though?

Andy77 said:
i'm currently making cider, and my last batch had a slight haze, and to me, a slightly yeasty flavor (although my girlfriend/brewing partner didn;t notice) after a month or two in bottles, now, 10 months later, it's crystal clear and the aftertaste is gone, but this batch we're starting on Friday i am thinking of using isinglass in the secondary, will it affect my carbonation though?

No, it shouldn't. I think time is the best clarifier for wine and cider, though. Sometimes finings strip out the flavor as well as the stuff that's hazy. For beer, it's not really an issue because it's not that delicately flavored, but for ciders and wine it could be an issue.

mysterio said:
I make beer to look good as well as to taste good, part of enjoying beer to me is aesthetic. Different folks, Different strokes!

Yeah me too.

I'll drink my beer even though it may have a chill haze, but it bugs me to no end. I try to have all but my stout something you can see clearly through.

I am thinking about using isinglass. As I understand it, while stripping some proteins that also contribute to haze, it will also bind with the yeast and settle them to the bottom. This poses an issue with bottle conditioned beer, no? Anyway, I was curious if you put isinglass in the bottling bucket and then bottle the beer immediately would you allow for active carbonation and the benefits of isinglass?

Thoughts, experiences?

Ryan

you don't want it in the bottle. Use it in secondary and there will be plenty of yeast to carb it may take a little longer but it will carb

wow 4 year old thread

Back