Wider vs Narrower Primary Fermenters ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackson_d

Reaction score
I have not started using carboys and I have a feeling that is the best thing to use. But if I'm still in plastic for my primary fermenters, is there any positive or negative to the tall skinny 7G buckets vs the short and fat 7G buckets? The home brew store was out of the normal tall skinny ones they sell for beer, so we bought the short fat one they normally sell with wine kits for our 10G of IPA we just cooked up this past weekend. Does anyone use a 10G primary?

Never noticed any difference. Why beer buckets are tall and skinny and wine buckets short and fat is a puzzle. About the only thing I can come up with is it is much more difficult to put a spigot on the wine fermenters because they have tapered sides.

In theory shorter buckets will allow the yeast, trub, and other particulate matter to settle faster. Depending on your yeast and beer style this could be a good or a bad thing. I reality though, the mere inches one way or the other shouldn't make a difference.

Back