Overflow !!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bishop916

Reaction score
Okay - so i dont have a blow off tube and we got some serious krauzen coming thru the airlock... just stick the bucket in the sink until I can get one hooked up?

What size fermenter, how much beer, what kind of yeast, how big of beer?

These things, among others like pitching rate, temp, etc.. can have a big impact on the amount of Krausen...

5 gallons Dark/Dry Stout, 6 gallon fermenter.
1.070 OG
DanStar Windsor dry yeast (reactivated).
Currently @ 76 degrees

Eek. That's hot. For the future, you'll get a less explodey (and tastier) fermentation if you rein in the temps a bit.

Yeah I didnt know it was going to run that hot. My last brew (2.5 gallons) was kinda big, but didn't have temp issues, maybe due to volume?

I put a couple inches of water in the sink and a frozen 2 liter bottle of water to try to coax the temps back down

Anymore, I cool the wort to about 62 degrees before pitching the yeast.. Then I ferment in the coolest room in the house.. I let the yeast bring the temp up.... Everything seems much more manageable since I started doing that, and the beer is better...

Once I build a ferment chamber, I plan to never let the ferment get above 64-66....

At 76 degrees, I'm thinking you will probably get some fusels... Especially with a higher gravity beer... Plan on letting it sit on the yeast for some extra time, and give it a lot of time to condition...

Hopefully, the yeast and time will clean everything up for you... It will definitely help...

Should I let it sit in the bottle longer at room temp or in the fridge a bit longer after carbing?

It has only been just over twenty-four hours, so once I cool things down I'm hoping to be in the clear as far as ruining the batch ...

Thanks for the helps!

Back