Belgian Candi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randolf

Reaction score
Hey Brewers and Brewerettes. I want to brew a 2 gallon Mr. Beer "Abbey Dubbel" I have all of the stuff I need to brew it except how much Candi sugar I should use and when I should Add it. I'm planning on brewing this on 2/26,so any advice you can give will be appreciated.TIA Randolf

Hey Brewers and Brewerettes. I want to brew a 2 gallon Mr. Beer "Abbey Dubbel" I have all of the stuff I need to brew it except how much Candi sugar I should use and when I should Add it. I'm planning on brewing this on 2/26,so any advice you can give will be appreciated.TIA Randolf

First, many people say that unless you're using Candi syrup, you can just use table sugar. They say that there's no difference between white table sugar and the rock sugar. I know from experience that D90 syrup has a completely different taste than the rock sugar. That being said, I would think 1/2 lb. of sugar or syrup would be plenty for a 2 gallon batch. That is just my guess, but it would be a good idea to put the recipe into beer calculus to see what you need to reach your gravity. I would add it either during late boil, or dissolve (boil) in a little water, cool, and add to primary just as fermentation starts to slow down.

If this helps at all... I used a full pound (one pouch) of D90 in a 5 gal batch and it was quite noticeable. Next time I do that batch I'm probably going to scale it down a bit. But that is just my taste and where I'm looking to take that particular beer. 1/2 pound will really show itself in a 2 gallon batch. My hunch is to use a little less.

I used 1.25 lbs on my first Dubbel attempt. Actually it was 1 lb. of clear (hard) candi and .25 lbs of table sugar. It ended up being a trippel (due to both color and ABV), and while it was a decent beer in its own right, it wasn't the Chimay Red that I was shooting for. In the final assessment, I felt that amount lightened it up a little too much. FWIW, next time I am going to raise my specialty grain bill a little for my partial-mash and I'm going to use darker candi sugar (probably syrup).

My advice for a 2-gal batch would be 1/2 lb of syrup. And make sure it has some color to it (at least D-45), or it probably is indistinguishable from table sugar.

If this helps at all... I used a full pound (one pouch) of D90 in a 5 gal batch and it was quite noticeable. Next time I do that batch I'm probably going to scale it down a bit. But that is just my taste and where I'm looking to take that particular beer. 1/2 pound will really show itself in a 2 gallon batch. My hunch is to use a little less.

I agree. I used a pound of D90 in 5 gallons and it ended very sweet and 'dark figgy'. So the next time around, I used a half pound, and it was barely noticeable. Next time, I will split the difference and use 3/4 lb. for a 5 gallon batch. Hopefully that gets me closer to the Dubbel that I'm looking for. Maybe 1/3rd lb would be a good start for 2 gallons if using Candi syrup, especially the darker d90 or d180. It's pretty strong flavored stuff and can be overpowering.

Back