English Pub Ale II (Ordinary Bitter)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buford

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale S-04 (dry)
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
11 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
9 days, 68 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
20 days, 68 degrees
Please note that my efficiency with this recipe is 72.5%. You may need to adjust ingredients for your system to hit the target OG and IBUs.

Grain bill:
Code:
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
6 lbs         Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM)             Grain        85.71 %       
8.0 oz        Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)    Grain        7.14 %        
4.0 oz        Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM)                  Grain        3.57 %        
4.0 oz        Special Roast (Briess) (50.0 SRM)         Grain        3.57 %

I am not a huge fan of hop flavor in my bitters, preferring brews where the malt flavor shines, so the only late hop addition is small and at 20 minutes. Enough flavor will be pulled from that to let you know there are hops in the beer, but that's about it.

Hop bill:
Code:
1.25 oz       Goldings, East Kent [6.00 %]  (60 min)    Hops         30.1 IBU      
0.25 oz       Goldings, East Kent [6.00 %]  (20 min)    Hops         3.6 IBU

Misc:
Code:
0.50 items    Campden Tablet (Mash 60.0 min)            Misc                   
1.00 items    Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)          Misc

I use the Campden to neutralize chloramine in my tap water. You may not need to use this.

Mash in with 7 quarts of water (1 quart per lb of grain) for a target temp of 153 degrees. Rest for 60 minutes, then sparge to collect 6.8 gallons. With my system I get about 1 gallon of boil-off over an hour, however you may need to adjust the recipe to match my numbers.

Overall it's a good light but malty session beer without too much bitterness or strong hop character. Its best enjoyed around 55 degrees. From a visual standpoint the flaked barley produces some chill haze at lower temps, and the flavor is also muted if drank colder than cellar temps. I force carbonate to around 1.9 volumes CO2 (12 PSI at 55 degrees).

Back