Hoppy Beers and the Homebrewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Like many homebrewers I love hoppy beers IPA , IPA, etc..etc.. and I brew my share of them. However I have a dillema. I brew 10 gallons of beer a week and have 20 corny kegs that I like to keep filled with beer for me and my father in law who both have tap systems.

I am finding it harder and harder to consume extra hoppy beers fast enough, heck even put them on tap fast enough, to fully take advantage of the delicious and time dependant hop aromas and flavors. I have recently taken to dry hoppin in the keg right before I stick the keg in the fridge and that helps keep the hop aroma longer, but sheeeesh, how much IPA or IIPA can one guy drink!!

Sorry....venting. It is a good problem to have.

maybe try some BRET in acouple, as you know that will help give it a full body taste for a long time? just a thought, if you like BRET?

I drink a lot of IPA (well, I drink too much but that's for another topic!) and even going through a keg every 2 weeks means that some of that wonderful hoppy aroma does fade quite a bit by the last pour. I've been dryhopping in the keg when it goes into the kegerator. The cold temperatures help release the dryhopping aromas more slowly, it seems to me, so there is still some lovely hops aroma at the end.

I'm not making too many 10 gallon batches anymore, because the hops aroma does tend to fade so fast for me. I usually make 10 gallon batches of most beers, but only 5 gallons of my hoppiest beers so they are nice and fresh until the last drop.

I shouldn't say I find it harder to consume them, but I should say for health reasons and so I can still function as a contributing member of society, I shouldn't drink that much IPA. Not that I don't want too!

Dry hopping in the keg is so far what I have found to be the best solution. Outside of that, drink it fast.

Invite more friends and family over?

Maybe try making a super hop lite IPA. I just made a 5.5% @ 70 IBUs that I love cause I get the hops but don't get trashed after 4.

Latest posts

Back