What really makes a Dubbel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing a Dubbel next. Never done anything belgian except a Wit. Does anyone have any suggestions? I bought a bunch of cool stuff from AHS that's on its way here now...like Belgian Aromatic, some special B, and Maris Otter. Also bought my first mail-order Liquid Yeasts, and plan on using a Wyeast Belgian Abbey strain for the dubbel. As for extracts (it'll be partial mash), I have pale, munich, amber and dark.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :mug:

Evan! said:
I Also bought my first mail-order Liquid Yeasts, and plan on using a Wyeast Belgian Abbey strain for the dubbel.

I cant answer your question about a dubbel. But being that its still summertime, and very warm in some areas, make sure you make a starter when you receive your yeast to make sure its still alive.

Yeah, I've got BJCP guidelines built into ProMash too...just wondering about grains, etc. The Full BJCP Guide helps. I have pale malt (maris otter), special b, etc.

Chimone:

Thanks for the concern. I've been waiting until the temps dropped, and have been keeping an eye on the extended forecast. This is my first time ordering liquid by mail, so I've been very careful---all my beers this summer with the exception of a wit strain cultured from the bottom of a local micro's bottle, have been fermented with dry yeast...so I'm anxious to try some liquid. It's pretty cold, in the lower 60's, here in Virginia right now, and as I type this, my package is in Little Rock, AR. Max temps for the areas between AR and VA for the next few days don't look to get out of the 70's, so I think I'm alright. I also got icepacks along with them, so I'm fairly confident. Say a prayer for my poor yeasties on their long journey from Austin...

Back