Sierra Nevada Big Foot 2009

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Picked up a sixer to add to my barleywine collection today. $12.99 for the six pack.

Anyone try this yet?

I just drank some tonight. I thought it was very good, exactly what I would expect of an American Barleywine. I have some tasting notes that follow.

Appearance: Reddish brown (dark amber) with dense, small head.

Aroma: Malty with slight hint of pine. Cherry and stone fruit.

Flavor: Sweet with hop forward flavor. Piney. Touch of alcohol at back of throat.

Mouthfeel: Coats mouth - slightly syrupy. Medium carb.

Overall I would give it a 7/10. Fairly hop forward with a good balance of malt. For $13 (what I paid) I would most certainly buy again.

I'm still waiting for it to arrive! They keep saying a couple more weeks...

I will probably buy a case if I can so I have some to cellar. They may only get one case in though!

I got it for 7.59 for a six pack at a liquor store! they just got it in and it wasn't in their system yet and the cashier was new. she asked, "how much is this?" I didn't even hesitate and pointed the 'sierra nevada pale ale - $7.59' sticker and said, " says on the fridge 7.59 for sierra nevada" I can't believe she fell for it! unfortunately I wasn't greedy and only left with a sixer. I should have bought the entire stock!

but anyway, I loved it. very thick. it really coats your mouth and is much maltier than SN's house flavor with a noticeable alcohol finish. I think I'll see if they fixed the price on it tomorrow and try to get more!

Picked up a sixer to add to my barleywine collection today. $12.99 for the six pack.

I walked by it at HEB last Saturday...I passed for a sale on two 6pks of St. Arnold's Elissa IPA for $13.

These days, I find it increasingly difficult to justify spending $2+ per 12oz bottle... :(

Man, I don't know why it's so expensive out east...SN doesn't usually mark up their other seasonals that much. I picked up a sixer at the brewery shop for about $8 with CRV. It seems especially lately with SNs increase in production that prices across the nation are getting fairly level. Do you guys usually pay a bunch for other seasonals as well?

Man, I don't know why it's so expensive out east...SN doesn't usually mark up their other seasonals that much. I picked up a sixer at the brewery shop for about $8 with CRV. It seems especially lately with SNs increase in production that prices across the nation are getting fairly level. Do you guys usually pay a bunch for other seasonals as well?

Well, I figured it was due to the rising costs of glass, malt, hops...

I suppose though it is the cost of shipping that factors largely into the price discrepancy. If SN was like AB or other macros they would have have smaller regional breweries/bottling plants and therefore not have to ship their product as far. Thus enabling uniform pricing.

I have gotten Bigfoot in NH in the past for $12 for a 6-er. Not sure what it will be when it gets here but I am sure I will pay it. Love to get a case but I suppose that will depend on how much it ends up being.

Their other seasonals have not been that much but I figured that was do tho them being smaller beers relatively. I believe I paid about $8 or so for Celebration and Anniversary 6 packs. Or $14 for a 12 pack.

I picked up a six-pack last week of Bigfoot and it ran me $8.99. That's about standard for a Sierra Nevada product around here. I think I paid the same for Celebration Ale a month or two back.

I'm stoked, I thought it came out later in the spring. It's one beer that I have to buy every year, and usually buy a decent amount of, so that I can age it. Still have 4 bottles of the 08 left, and based on that will probably buy even more this year.

I just picked up a 6er. I need to go back because they had a six pack of the 2008 left too .

Its a lot hoppier than I expected. I'm used to darker maltier barleywines. I guess kind of like Anchor's Barleywine. This is fairly dry with a good malt backbone. Fairly hop forward. I like it, although it reminds me more of an IIPA than a barleywine.

I'll save a full review for the commercial beer review database.

Crap I need to get back to the store and check if it's in. They didn't have it yet last week so I had to ask about it. Of course the guy didn't have a clue that it was available yet. Hopefully they have some now or I will have to go check another store.

Bought some last night (9.99/6-pack) along with some Torpedo IPA.

Both very good beers.

Here in Boise.... bought 2 six packs last night for $9.99 at Albertson's at 16th and State (haven't found it at other Albertson's in town). Also saw it at the Boise Co Op for $10.49 for a 6 pack. GOOD STUFF!

Ive been checking the stores, but no luck so far. I still have a few bottles of last year. Im waiting to try one to do a side by side tasting. Anyone have any recent tasting notes for 2008 Big Foot?

I saw it come in the other day around these parts, but I also saw that the Tornado came in at the same time. I'll probably grab the Bigfoot next round, if I can hold back from getting another sixer of the Torpedo!

I picked some up and tried a bottle.
It was very nice.

Seemed like a barleywine-light. But I think I am spoiled.

I did enjoy the hops flavor. If I could recreate that with a 4.5 abv., it'd be a killer session beer for me.

Picked up two six packs tonight!!!! Going to do a vertical tasting with the 2008 in T Minus...... 10 minutes!!!!

They're filtering this beer now, I wonder if it will age as nicely as the stuff that was bottle conditioned.

It's still bottle conditioned, and most of the other SN beers are also filtered. In fact, all of their bottled offerings are filtered except for the Wheat Beer.

SN filters their beer, then adds in a VERY precise amount of yeast back to the bottle. They have it down to a science. Theyre so good, you only get a very light dusting of yeast at the bottom. Its usually not even detectable.

SN filters their beer, then adds in a VERY precise amount of yeast back to the bottle. They have it down to a science. Theyre so good, you only get a very light dusting of yeast at the bottom. Its usually not even detectable.

+1. From what I gleaned from our tour guide, there is a bottling tank where a certain amount of priming solution and bottling yeast is mixed in with the filtered beer. The whole solution is then added to the bottles and these are sent off to a big warehouse on site for several weeks to carbonate and condition.

Picked up a 6 pack of this a few weeks ago to age. Couldn't resist pulling one out few nights ago to test. I really liked the 2008 but the 2009 seemed to have a lot more hops to it. Very upfront bitter taste. I think that will mellow some overtime and in 6 months will be a great beer.

drinking one right now 6 pack for 17.99 :( everything is expensive here but its pretty good lots of hops and i like that. Also got hog heaven to compare it too that will be for another night.

Edit... my bad. It's wasn't $7.50. It was $6.99. I bought another 6er the other day... I brought it home excited. SWMBO wasn't. I explained to her that it's basically a 12 pack... cleverly disguised as a 6 pack.

:ban:

SN Bigfoot has renewed my faith in barley wines!

After being turned off by Full Sail's BW and by Bridgeport's (yuck), I thought that barley wines were not for me. Then there was bigfoot.

wow... I .... need ... MORE!

Edit... my bad. It's wasn't $7.50. It was $6.99. I bought another 6er the other day... I brought it home excited. SWMBO wasn't. I explained to her that it's basically a 12 pack... cleverly disguised as a 6 pack.

:ban:

You SUCK!!!!

I just picked up a sixer of it on the recommendation of a friend of mine. Unfortunately I was/am a bit under the weather when I tasted two of them...but I did not like them. The flavors were too strong and the feel was too meaty for my taste buds. I'm holding off on drinking the other four until after I'm over with this cold.

Back