Formulating an English IPA- C/C wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyangler18

Reaction score
I've been trying to develop a recipe for a softer, maltier IPA with some sweetness and enough assertive bitterness to remain balanced.

Here's what I have so far:

Selected Style and BJCP Guidelines
14A-India Pale Ale(IPA)-English IPA

Minimum OG: 1.050 SG Maximum OG: 1.075 SG
Minimum FG: 1.010 SG Maximum FG: 1.018 SG
Minimum IBU: 40 IBU Maximum IBU: 60 IBU
Minimum Color: 8.0 SRM Maximum Color: 14.0 SRM

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 7.00 US gals
Wort Volume After Boil: 6.00 US gals
Volume Transferred: 5.5 US gals

Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.050 SG
Expected OG: 1.055 SG
Expected FG: 1.015 SG
Apparent Attenuation: 72.0 %
Expected ABV: 5.4 %
Expected ABW: 4.2 %
Expected IBU: 51.6 IBU
Expected Color: 12.4 SRM
BU:GU ratio : 0.93
Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 62 degF

Fermentables
Ingredient
UK Pale Ale Malt (Maris Otter) 11lb 0oz 85.9 %
US Caramel 60L Malt 1lb 8oz 11.7 %

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU
UK Challenger 7.1 % 1.50 oz 44.8 Loose Pellet Hops 60 Min From End
UK Challenger 7.1 % 0.50 oz 4.0 Loose Pellet Hops 15 Min From End
UK Challenger 7.1 % 0.50 oz 2.8 Loose Pellet Hops 5 Min From End

Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When
Whirlfloc Tablet 0.25 oz In Boil

Yeast
White Labs WLP023-Burton Ale

I'm seeking specific feedback on the amount of crystal in this recipe....is this percentage too high? Would I be looking at something cloyingly sweet?

I'm seeking specific feedback on the amount of crystal in this recipe....is this percentage too high? Would I be looking at something cloyingly sweet?

Will it be cloyingly sweet? Not quite but IMO the crystal and special is too much here. I would cut the two specialty additions back to half of what is listed. That weight could be replaced with additional pale malt or an adjunct like maize or sugar which would make for a slightly drier finish.

I concur with the notion that your proportions of crystal and special roast are a bit much for IPA. I think a pound of Crystal is appropriate, and I suggest dropping the Special Roast entirely. Replace those amounts with more Pale malt. Your BU:GU ratio is on target, IMO, as is the timing of the additions.

Cheers!

Bob

I can't comment on the Special Roast because I've never used it.
I agree with Bob that 1 lb crystal should be quite enough, and making up the shortage with Pale malt.

Excellent choice of yeast.

-a.

I like the special roast, 5oz isn't crazy alot...The crystal may be a bit much, I'd drop it back to 3/4-1lbs but I'm not a big fan of the cystal.

I like Special Roast, too. Unfortunately, however, I find it out of place in Pale Ale, India or otherwise. I find pale malt and just enough Crystal to A., add a nice copper color; and B., a touch of body and flavor, to be quite sufficient.

Let the Beagle Bark at this article, followed by this one.

Jamil calls for Special Roast in his English IPA, so I'd say it's not out of style.

Say what you want about him, but he knows his styles.

BeerTools Pro puts your color a bit high, at about 15 SRM. FYI. I'd cut back on the crystal too. At 8-12 oz crystal and 12 lbs pale ale, all looks pretty good in my software. Dunno what the difference is between the two programs, but BTP has generally been spot on in predicting color for me.

Might try some Maris Otter instead of the pale malt if you looking for a maltier flavor.

I've scaled the crystal back to a 1 lb. Still curious about making it a touch darker- perhaps 2 oz of roasted barley might do the trick without contributing too much assertive roastiness?

I've scaled the crystal back to a 1 lb. Still curious about making it a touch darker- perhaps 2 oz of roasted barley might do the trick without contributing too much assertive roastiness?

If you want color add .5-1 oz of black malt or maybe about the same chocolate malt. You'll get some red color with that and no flavor....+1 on Marris Otter or Golden Promise as a base malt.

Might try some Maris Otter instead of the pale malt if you looking for a maltier flavor.

I always use MO as my base malt for English beers. BeerAlchemy doesn't have an entry for MO, so I use Pale Ale Malt with similar SRM from my ingredients list.

If you want color add .5-1 oz of black malt or maybe about the same chocolate malt.

I'm thinking chocolate is the better choice- thanks for confirming that.

Getting ready to mill the grain on this one now.

My final grainbill reads:

12 lbs Maris Otter
8 oz Crystal 60L
2 oz chocolate

Back