Budweiser made good...once.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
E-mail I got today:

The Budweiser Story
(not a joke)

This is TRUE!

How Budweiser handled those who laughed at thosewho died on the 11th of September, 2001...
Thought you might like to know what happened
in a little town north of Bakersfield , California
After you finish reading this,
please forward this story on to others
so that our nation and people around the world
will know about those who laughed
when they found out about the tragic events
in New York , Pennsylvania , and the Pentagon. On September 11th,
A Budweiser employee was making a delivery
to a convenience store in a California town named McFarland.
He knew of the tragedy that had occurred in New York when he entered the business to find the two Arabs, who owned the business, whooping and hollering to show their approval and support of this treacherous attack.
The Budweiser employee went to his truck, called his boss and told him
of the very upsetting event! He didn't feel he could be in that store with those horrible people. His boss asked him,"Do you think you could go in there long enough to pull every Budweiser product and item our beverage company sells there? We'll never deliver to them again.'
The employee walked in, proceeded to pull every single product his beverage company provided and left with an incredible grin on his face .

He told them never to bother to call for a delivery again.
Budweiser happens to be the beer of choice for that community. Just letting you know how Kern County handled this situation.

And Now The Rest Of The Story:

It seems that the Bud driver and the Pepsi man are neighbors. Bud called Pepsi and told him. Pepsi called his boss who told him to pull all Pepsi products as well!!! That would include Frito Lay, etc. Furthermore, word spread and all vendors followed suit! At last report, the store was closed indefinitely.

Good old American Passive-Aggressive A$$ Whoopin!

**Edited to show that this is NOT my original work.

OK probably not true. But he point is that this is how our economy is supposed to work. It is found that a business is doing something immoral, corrupt, just poor customer relations, etc, etc. This news is passed on and the business is boycotted. People dont realize that we as consumers are meant to be the final say in our economy. The point is that a story like this could easily happen, if American got their collective heads out of their asses and took responsibility for their place in this economy things would be different.

Hahaha, it is kind of like those Miller High Life commercials.
[youtube]0_OxCHyLLkU[/youtube]

Right, but what a heartwarming story, huh? With the "Arabs" thrown in there as a chum. Let's look at that use of stereotype to activate a deeper prejudice which makes the whole thing plausible to some? Lovely.

7th Post and we have a race card!

I knew I should have posted this in the Debate Forum!

You have to admit, as much as it is trying to garner good feelings for Budweiser for doing the right thing, it also incites hatred towards Arab-Americans. I don't remember hearing a single story of any American celebrating the September 11 attacks

Somewhere in Colorado, there is a very good guy named Randy Cassingham who is probably spitting mad (or was when this went out) that the message went out with "This is TRUE!" at the header.
That is his trademark for an excellent publication. I've been a subscriber for over a decade now, and I am confident that most of the folks around here would love his stuff.
Randy is a fierce campaigner against internet rumors and spam in general.
Check him out.

A side project of his is the True Stella Awards and is equally awesome.

it also incites hatred toward Arab-Americans.

I guess it's just because of my upbringing on farms and ranches where we had a lot of different people around all the time...but I just don't see it.
I think it may be intended to enrage Americans against Terrorists and people trying to harm our country....But I really say the "Arab" store owners as a reality check....how many convenience stores are owned and or operated by people with a Middle Eastern Background?

I guess it's a lot like the womens rights thing to me. Where I'm from, you don't get to use being a Woman (or black, or Mexican, or Indian) as an excuse. If something needs done, Get over yourself and and do it. You can go back to self loathing and pity when the work has been done. Because of that, i just am not as sensitive to the things that upset the rest of you. Where I'm from, being an Arab doesn't make you special, nor does it make a story racist or hateful!

First of all this story just screams untrue from the get-go. Those arab-americans would have come to this country to start a new life while running their business. I have never met people who truly love our country more than immigrant entrepreneurs. They usually have left everything behind in their old country to start a new life in this one. Why would they just piss on the country that is giving them a second (or third) chance? Why would they cheer for the destruction of a country that is treating them well?

Was it necessary to name the store owners as Arab? If yes, than a racist statement is being made, obviously trying to generate feelings toward a stereotype.

As a matter of fact most of the "Arab" immigrants that you are thinking of are actually Sikhs and Hindi, not Muslim. Why don't you try asking one of them sometime before assuming their religion just because of their appearance?

*Opens lawn chair and cracks a beer.*

I guess it's just because of my upbringing on farms and ranches where we had a lot of different people around all the time...but I just don't see it.
I think it may be intended to enrage Americans against Terrorists and people trying to harm our country....But I really say the "Arab" store owners as a reality check....how many convenience stores are owned and or operated by people with a Middle Eastern Background?

I guess it's a lot like the womens rights thing to me. Where I'm from, you don't get to use being a Woman (or black, or Mexican, or Indian) as an excuse. If something needs done, Get over yourself and and do it. You can go back to self loathing and pity when the work has been done. Because of that, i just am not as sensitive to the things that upset the rest of you. Where I'm from, being an Arab doesn't make you special, nor does it make a story racist or hateful!

Kahuna, the point I was making was, the story relies on implicit prejudice against "Arabs"--read, brown people, as being from the Middle East doesn't make you an Arab...for example, Christians from Lebanon or Iraq don't consider themselves Arabs--to start it down the track of it being believable. As an earlier poster said, if the story had started...this Irish bartender (another stereotype, yes, though I've worked with potatoloads of them), was celebrating the attacks and...

Back