Herbal Tea instead of hops in fruit beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut back on any aroma hops and try to cut the IBU's down. I don't know what your previous experience was or what your hops schedule was but that may help you. Also, the longer you let the bottles condition I would think the flavors would meld together.

Well it's been with commercial brews, Pyramid Apricot, Great Devide Wild Raspberry, even Lindemans. They all just taste too hoppy to me, it gets in the way of the fruit. Hops are fine normally (planning to brew a 135 IBU IPA next) but they just don't go with fruit for me by golly. Are they all just hopped badly? This was what I was planning:

5.25 lbs 2-row
2 lbs Wheat malt
0.5 lbs crystal 40L
0.75 lbs honey

1 oz EKG @ 10 mins

1 oz peach flavoring

5 lbs peaches in secondary

California Ale Yeast

I just got done brewing this and so far so good. We will see how fermentation goes. I don't think I boiled it quite long enough (still a bit of a raw grain flavor) but the cold break took care of some of it and the rest will probably ferment off. The herbal tea was a great idea, it smells like a country bumpkin peach pie and I haven't even added any real peaches yet! I used two boxes of it. It had a slight herby bitterness to it as well so it will still taste like beer too!

If your getting too much hop flavor from a Lindemans, then it ain't hops that your tasting. That beer uses very small amounts of years old hops with very little hop aroma or flavor left in them, and that's just to aid in preservation, not even for flavor.

Adding hops at 10min instead of 60 will make the hop flavor from them much more pronounced and leave out most all bitterness for balance, after all, 10-30 minute additions are the traditional FLAVOR additions.

If your getting too much hop flavor from a Lindemans, then it ain't hops that your tasting. That beer uses very small amounts of years old hops with very little hop aroma or flavor left in them, and that's just to aid in preservation, not even for flavor.

Adding hops at 10min instead of 60 will make the hop flavor from them much more pronounced and leave out most all bitterness for balance, after all, 10-30 minute additions are the traditional FLAVOR additions.

+1 That is what I was thinking. But hopefully the beer turns out good for you. :mug:

Well it just started seriously bubbling today and I'm getting some serious peach jelly smell out of the blow off tube. It also has a small malty smell; the two together make me think peach tart. It needs more, next time I'll add a bit more wheat so you can taste the "crust." Will be interesting to see how it turns out, hopefully the real peaches I'm planning to add later will round out the aromas.

If you want "crust", some Victory might be worth trying. Or toasting part of the wheat.

If you want "crust", some Victory might be worth trying. Or toasting part of the wheat.

Yeah when I ordered the grains from Austin Homebrew I forgot to add the fractional part of the wheat so it's a little less wheaty/creamy than what it should be. It's ok though, it was just 3oz. How do you toast it, like you're toasting nuts for cake? Does it loose it's extract potential? How much should I do?

Well I measured it with the hydrometer yesterday and it was a bit above 1.01. I'll give it another week then add the peaches. It's SUPER sour though, like someone crushed a bunch of vitamin C tablets in it, it didn't taste anything like it did when I put it in. Any ideas why?

Back