Using unfermented wort for priming.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gruntingfrog

Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack another thread (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=50389) where I first saw this mentioned, so here goes.

Anyone that has used unfermented wort for bottling, can you answer a couple of questions assuming that we're speaking of a 5 gallon batch.

1. How much do you add at bottling time?
2. How do you store it until bottling?
3. Is this wort that you pull from the mash tun or post-boil?
4. What's the point?

It's call kraeusening. Store in a sterilized container kept cold in the fridge.

The amount for priming varies with the amount of fermentables in the wort. One example in Joy of Home Brewing is for a 5 gallon brew with a SG of 1.040. The amount of "gyle" needed is 1 1/2 quarts. There is a formula in the book but I'm too tired to figure it out. Sorry!

gruntingfrog said:
I didn't want to hijack another thread (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=50389) where I first saw this mentioned, so here goes.

Anyone that has used unfermented wort for bottling, can you answer a couple of questions assuming that we're speaking of a 5 gallon batch.

1. How much do you add at bottling time?
2. How do you store it until bottling?
3. Is this wort that you pull from the mash tun or post-boil?
4. What's the point?

1. Depends on how much carbonation you want your beer to have. 1 1/2 qts is a nice medium.

2. In mason jars/gallon jug in the fridge.

3. It's from the total topped off wort just prior to pitching the yeast in.

4. To maintain strict adherence to the Reinheitsgebot. It means that you only use 4 ingredients in your brew and no adjuncts. :D

Back