Aerating wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mscott987

Reaction score
Can anyone give me a simple definition or method of aerating wort. I think I understand the concept and the purpose but I can't find any specific info on it.

Pouring cooled wort through a strainer, vigorous stirring or shaking of the fermenter are common methods.

Using either an aqarium pump or bottled oxygen with an aeration stone is more effective but requires additional equipment.

For partial boils aeration is usually less critical; if the top-off water hasn't been boiled it's still oxygen rich.

What yeast are you using?

Basically there are several methods but as long as you mix, splash, shake the wort as it goes in the fermenter you'll have enough O2 for the yeast.

Matter of fact, i spend 18 dollars on a whip stir aerator (look it up) to aerate my wort.

Using that STILL didn't create as much head as simply pouring my wort from the pot to my bucket fermenter did.

So i think i will just skip that step next time!

I use this.

aerate.JPG

spigotandfiller.JPG

fillingcarboy.JPG

To aerate means to add air. The reason is because when you boil water the air leaves the water and yeast needs the air to work.

I do 1.5 gal boils. I pour 4 gals of filtered tap water into the primary on top of the wort. The tap water has air in it. Just pouring the water in aerates it without stirring. :D

I actually do the same thing as homebrewer 99 except I take it one step further and before I add the cooled wort I put the lid on the fermenter and cover the airlock hole and give it a shake for about a minute. I actually have to credit John Palmer for the move but it seems to work.

Back