Coopers Sparkling Ale - brewing without dry malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zorlee

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I'm about to start my second batch of beer, and this time I'm going for the Cooper's Sparkling Ale beer set.
The package says that it should be made using a 1,5 kg can of light malt extract, 500 light dry malt and 300g dextrose/sugar.
My problem is that I don't have any light dry malt.
What I do have is 1,5 kg of light malt extract and a Cooper's brew enhancer 1 package (1 kilo).
Would it be ok to make this beer using the light malt extract + 800g of the brew enhancer? Or would this mess things up?
And could I possibly add a bit more of the brew enhancer to up the alc a bit? I like strong beers, but I don't want to ruin the taste.

Thank you guys so much for your help!
Zorlee..

First off,cooper's light DME package is 500g. I used it with the English Bitter kit package I was sent by makebeer.net. Brew enhancer 1 is just dextrose with some maltodextrine mixed in to give a bit more body/mouth feel back to light gravity beers. I'd stick to the recipe for the first go around to get a handle on what it's supposed to taste like. That way you'll be able to get a more exact idea on what needs to be improved.
I did that with my 1st,the cooper's OS lager.

You'll be fine subbing in the 800g of BE1. But do I think Coopers does offer some solid recipes on their premium kits, just not always my personal choice.

First off,cooper's light DME package is 500g.

The l.5kg is in reference to their unhopped light LME.

Ok,yeah those are indeed 1.5kg. I found the brew enhancer 1 (60% dextrose,40% maltodextrin) to be ok,but plain DME/LME is def better. I've also used the cooper's brewing sugar,80% dextrose,20% maltodextrin. Just add some hops as late additions to balance out the extra malt.

Latest posts

Back