URGENT - how to use honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joer189

Reaction score
about to get rolling RIGHT NOW with a 6 gal batch of "Great Dry Sparkling Cider" from this site. Anyone have any tips on adding honey? Should I try to heat pasteurize the honey before adding to cider?

no need to pasteurize honey. if you want to heat your liquid to ~140 to help dissolve the honey you can, but even that is not neccissary.

I usually just cold mix everything - the honey will settle to the bottom, but the yeasties will get to it.

Cooking the honey is not necessary. Through my limited experience with using it, I have found that it can cause the flavor of the honey to disappear if it is boiled. However, this may not be a bad thing if you are using a strongly flavored honey. I used sage honey on my last batch and found that it imparted a green almost grassy flavor. It will be good, but not for about 6 months.

Back