Impatience to crash cool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pangea

Reaction score
So this is my first batch I'm kegging - a 1.048 OG pale ale. It's been 12 days since brew day and 5 days since the krausen fell. also 5 days ago the FG was 1.012, which is what was expected given the yeast attenuation.

Question is do you think 12 to 13 days is enough time in the primary before crash cooling, or am I not giving the beer enough time to mellow out before dropping the yeast, etc from suspension?

Pangea

Most all of us acsribe our own personal practice to allow more time on the yeast but, it is entirely possible this beer is ready for packaging.

Take another reading to verify nothing changed in teh gravity and really taste the sample. If you have any hints of an unexpected flavor give it some more time.

I know it is hard to tell being your first batch and given the fact the beer is young and not carbonated so, use the numbers and your "gut" to tell you whether or not to proceed.

It's kind of a sliding scale... Can you crash and bottle it now? Sure. It'll be good, drinkable beer. But... if you wait longer... it'll be juuuuuuuuust a bit better. :D

Back