dennys wry smile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasben

Reaction score
Brewed this a week ago and hit 1.074, today it read 1.022...after 7 days can I expect much more fermentation to take place. Most of my beers are finished at a week. I kept it at 60 degrees most of the time and decided to warm it up a bit today 63 ish....any input would be sweet.

I would warm it up a couple of degrees a day up to 70F.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I Fermenter at 60ish degrees for the first week...won't bringing it up 10 degrees effect it?

If the majority if the fermentation is complete, raising the temp will not have an adverse effect on flavor, IMO. I routinely ferment WL007 at 66F then raise it slowly to 72 over a few days. Also, many of the brewers interviewed on Can You Brew It have a similar philosophy.

Also, how big was your starter? What was the yeast production date?

Eric

Starter was 3 quarts with two smacks. Dennys yeast. Huge starter. Bought the yeast a few days before the brewday

thomasben said:
Starter was 3 quarts with two smacks. Dennys yeast. Huge starter. Bought the yeast a few days before the brewday

Not when you bought the yeast, when it was harvested. Did you use a stirplate? What was your batch size?

Just going through the checklist of yeast pitching. More often than not, underattenuation is caused by underpitching. Not saying this is the case for you, but it often is.

Eric

Dont know the harvest date. My starter was huge tho. No stir plate, intermittent shaking

Dennys Fav is a slow performer. If you read some of his posts he talks about longer ferment times.

He mentioned 2_3 weeks, still bubbling away so I assume were good, I raised the temp to 66 today so that should really help

thomasben said:
Dont know the harvest date. My starter was huge tho. No stir plate, intermittent shaking

I recommend using Jamil's pitching rate calculator so that you know exactly how much yeast to pitch. That way you know exactly how big of a starter you need. How much starter wort is a function of yeast type, beer gravity, yeast harvest date, and method of propagation (for you that is intermittent shaking).

Eric

I would do what Eric says and ramp up the temp to 70* for the last part of fermentation. I brewed a pumpkin two weeks ago with that yeast and it's still churning around. I started at 64* for 6 days and then 72* from then on.

Fermometer says 68 now, even though its only bubbling every minute or two is it still fermenting down or is that just co2 escaping...

Latest posts

Back