Alabama Homebrewer Arrested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fact is, government has many rules and laws to protect you from yourself. You are not to be trusted to make your own decisions about your safety, your health, or what you do in the "privacy" of your own home. Laws against victimless "crimes" are the first step in eroding our basic liberties. Your body is not your own, you are the property of the United States and they will decide what is good for you. Look at New York and their trans fat ban, you are not smart enough to even decide what to eat for yourself. You are so dumb and incapable of rational decision making that the government will make those decisions for you. It really makes sense considering the intelligence level of the kids coming out of our public schools these days. It's no wonder we are desperately eliminating every last vestige of personal responsibility, the next generation won't be able to form a full thought unless there's an app for it.

The fact is, government has many rules and laws to protect you from yourself. You are not to be trusted to make your own decisions about your safety, your health, or what you do in the "privacy" of your own home. Laws against victimless "crimes" are the first step in eroding our basic liberties. Your body is not your own, you are the property of the United States and they will decide what is good for you. Look at New York and their trans fat ban, you are not smart enough to even decide what to eat for yourself. You are so dumb and incapable of rational decision making that the government will make those decisions for you. It really makes sense considering the intelligence level of the kids coming out of our public schools these days. It's no wonder we are desperately eliminating every last vestige of personal responsibility, the next generation won't be able to form a full thought unless there's an app for it.

It's scary but true.

If you read further into the thread you will see this guy was distilling whiskey as well. I'm lucky enough to live in a state where homebrew is legal, but you can bet your ass if I lived in a state where homebrew was illegal I #1) wouldn't post about my activities on the internet (including photos of his entire setup) and #2) wouldn't take it a step further by running a still, which is a felony in every state as far as I know.

I won't argue this for distilling consumable spirits, but the home production of ethanol/methanol for fuel usage is legal in NY, atleast.

I don't know if anyone posted this, but the have a growler with a brewery name, and the propane burner has a sticker that says " support your local brewery" on it.

My thoughts...If there distilling something, at least have a distiller somewhere. This happen in a state that is known for moonshine, they have to know what a distiller is.

Look at New York and their trans fat ban, you are not smart enough to even decide what to eat for yourself. You are so dumb and incapable of rational decision making that the government will make those decisions for you..

No, the problem is, these things, like seatbelts, affect the cost of everyone's health insurance, medicare, etc. Hurting yourself costs me money.

No, the problem is, these things, like seatbelts, affect the cost of everyone's health insurance, medicare, etc. Hurting yourself costs me money.

So then, by your logic, people should be forced to exercise -- potentially at gunpoint? After all, it costs you money...

So then, by your logic, people should be forced to exercise -- potentially at gunpoint? After all, it costs you money...

At gunpoint? Thanks for the ridiculous hyperbole.

Why can't people have an honest intellectual discussion without resorting to this stuff?

I have seen people arrested for parking tickets.

I have seen people resist arrest and force used upon them.

You are not being logical. Where is the endpoint for your "right" to tell others what to do, because it "affects" you? Where is their limit on your freedom?

Okay, forget exercise: alcohol is correlated to cancer. Cancer is expensive. Ban alcohol! It "affects" you!!

I have seen people arrested for parking tickets.

I have seen people resist arrest and force used upon them.

You are not being logical. Where is the endpoint for your "right" to tell others what to do, because it "affects" you? Where is their limit on your freedom?

Okay, forget exercise: alcohol is correlated to cancer. Cancer is expensive. Ban alcohol! It "affects" you!!

Having a gun put on you for resisting arrest is not being ticketed at gunpoint. They are two seperate acts.

I have never said to ban anything, btw, so quite the strawman argument.

I have never said to ban anything, btw, so quite the strawman argument.

No. But what you did say, and insinuate, is that other people's actions could indirectly affect your pocketbook, so they should be regulated. Which is ludicrous. Where does your logic end? Am I responsible for your increased gas prices when I fill up my car at the gas station (supply & demand)? Am I responsible for holding up your child's education because my public-school child doesn't have the same IQ? Am I responsible for your STD because I'm the one who gave it to the hooker you slept with?

IMO, one of the biggest problems we face as a nation is our growing acceptance of the 'fact' that personal responsibility starts with someone else.

If your insurance rates go up, it's your INSURANCE COMPANY who's responsible. Noone else. But I'm willing to bet the insurance companies - and lawyers - absolutely love your logic. It does nothing but benefit them as we devour each other.

Isn't the topic of the thread about the guy in Alabama? If anyone has updates, please post. If you want to debate other stuff would you please consider making a thread for it? I want to keep up with what happens to this guy but there is just way to much noise in this thread not related to his plight.

Thanks.....

No. But what you did say, and insinuate, is that other people's actions could indirectly affect your pocketbook, so they should be regulated. Which is ludicrous. Where does your logic end? Am I responsible for your increased gas prices when I fill up my car at the gas station (supply & demand)? Am I responsible for holding up your child's education because my public-school child doesn't have the same IQ? Am I responsible for your STD because I'm the one who gave it to the hooker you slept with?

You do realize that the "Slippery slope" argument is a logical fallacy,correct?

Its great that you can use it to go ahead and put arguments into my mouth that I'm not making. Stop being intellectually dishonest.
IMO, one of the biggest problems we face as a nation is our growing acceptance of the 'fact' that personal responsibility starts with someone else.

Yes, and part of that personal responsibility comes with accepting the fact that your actions affect others. When you go out and smear yourself across the street because you don't want to wear a helmet, or a seatbelt, or whatever, it drives up my insurance, and my taxes (somebody has to clean the road, investigate, etc.)

Why should you have the right to increase my cost to live?

If your insurance rates go up, it's your INSURANCE COMPANY who's responsible. Noone else. But I'm willing to bet the insurance companies - and lawyers - absolutely love your logic. It does nothing but benefit them as we devour each other.
And unfortunately, I'm required BY LAW, to have insurance, and the insurance industry isn't even close to a free market.

You do realize that the "Slippery slope" argument is a logical fallacy,correct?

I'd absolutely love for you to explain to me how it's a logical fallacy. I don't think you can. In fact, I think the term 'logical fallacy' is just something you made up to avoid having to concede the point that your logic is flawed.

I'd also absolutely love for your to explain to me how you can possibly draw any line once you start extrapolating responsibility without being a hypocrit.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go out for a ride on my GSXR. I'll make sure to pop a high-speed wheelie or two in your honor. Unfortunately, wearing proper gear is a personal choice I'm not ready to forego in spite, but with any luck, if I do get in an accident, I'll be going so damned fast that my insurance company will refuse to honor the policy regardless. And my body will be spread out over such a distance that it will take at least twice the normal man-hours just to scrape me up.

You can sue my wife for your damages.

Isn't the topic of the thread about the guy in Alabama? If anyone has updates, please post. If you want to debate other stuff would you please consider making a thread for it? I want to keep up with what happens to this guy but there is just way to much noise in this thread not related to his plight.

Thanks.....

I am interested in reading any updates as well.

Shouldn't the thread read "Alabama Moonshiner Arrested" ?

Oh, don't get me started on Govt. mandated insurance... I'm liable to write a thousand word off topic rant.

Something tells me we won't get an update for a LONG time as this will be tied up in the courts.

Mods need to 'put a cap' on this thread because it has become useless for that. I come here looking for updates and see tons of irrelevant posts....

So start a post that says "Alabama homebrewer arrested - updates only please."

Threads evolve. Discussion is pretty much the purpose of an internet forum, isn't it?

Threads evolve. Discussion is pretty much the purpose of an internet forum, isn't it?

Actually the mods have posted more than once to let everyone know that this thread is only for updates on the situation. I imagine they will be deleting most of the last few pages when they get around to it.

Looks like Sheriff Arrington ran unopposed in yesterday's elections.

FOR BLOUNT COUNTY SHERIFF
VOTE FOR 1
(WITH 28 OF 28 PRECINCTS COUNTED)
LOYD ARRINGTON (REP). . . . . . . 14,765 98.97
WRITE-IN. . . . . . . . . . . 154 1.03

WORD!! I couldnt agree more.

and.. that we seem, as a society, to be trying to slowly remove all accountability and subsequent consequence from our world... ie. if you spill hot coffee on you, its your own damn fault, not the cup of coffee. NO, you do not get a settlement, you get a "too f-ing bad, dont do that again."

What we need is some more tough love in our country.

Mods need to 'put a cap' on this thread because it has become useless for that. I come here looking for updates and see tons of irrelevant posts....

I agree. Mods, delete all the crud so people will quit commenting on it.

I'd absolutely love for you to explain to me how it's a logical fallacy. I don't think you can. In fact, I think the term 'logical fallacy' is just something you made up to avoid having to concede the point that your logic is flawed.

I'd also absolutely love for your to explain to me how you can possibly draw any line once you start extrapolating responsibility without being a hypocrit.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go out for a ride on my GSXR. I'll make sure to pop a high-speed wheelie or two in your honor. Unfortunately, wearing proper gear is a personal choice I'm not ready to forego in spite, but with any luck, if I do get in an accident, I'll be going so damned fast that my insurance company will refuse to honor the policy regardless. And my body will be spread out over such a distance that it will take at least twice the normal man-hours just to scrape me up.

You can sue my wife for your damages.

Not to add to the bull**** in this thread but you clearly have no understanding of the principles of argument, logic, or debate. Slippery slope is a logical fallacy.

The 2 posts above mine seem to hold no more info or any sort of update on the person that was arrested. This thread also seems to get way out of hand way to fast because it "hits close to home". Seriously, if you do not have an update why post more conjecture on an issue that has been dormant for so long??? In other words "Thanks for nothing."...

Kade (the homebrewer in question) still has not gone to trial. I've only got third-hand information, but it sounds like the cops thought they had a big moonshine bust and don't really care about the homebrewing side of it. There was a small amount of moonshine present with his equipment, but he claims he was given it by a friend. There was talk back in December that his lawyer was negotiating a misdemeanor (possibly possession?) charge or even the possibility of getting the whole thing thrown out. There is even a possibility that he gets his equipment back. Last I heard was that there was supposed to be a new hearing on Dec. 15, but we haven't gotten an update since then.

Kade (the homebrewer in question) still has not gone to trial. I've only got third-hand information, but it sounds like the cops thought they had a big moonshine bust and don't really care about the homebrewing side of it. There was a small amount of moonshine present with his equipment, but he claims he was given it by a friend. There was talk back in December that his lawyer was negotiating a misdemeanor (possibly possession?) charge or even the possibility of getting the whole thing thrown out. There is even a possibility that he gets his equipment back. Last I heard was that there was supposed to be a new hearing on Dec. 15, but we haven't gotten an update since then.

Thanks!

I'd be interested in what was used as 'probably cause' to get the search warrant.

I think earlier in the thread they said they could see the equipment through the windows.

I thought he lived on a farm? Eh... Not going to go back and read all of it. Point is, if they thought they had a major shine operation they were going off of faulty 'leads' which would in my non legal mind question the validity of the original warrant. I guess if someone looks through my window and sees a computer they can get a warrant for all sorts of possible computer crime then? I don't think there is a law against stills anyhow. There is a law against distilling alcohol with one. So for a warrant wouldn't they have to be looking through his window as he distilled?

I think he had a disgruntled neighbor.

Back