Farwell Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electric_beer

Reaction score
I recently lost a dear friend of mine and decided that I need to brew a beer in memory of her. She was big into jagermeister. Gross, I know. Anyway I want to design a recipe that could share notes of the taste of jager in it in hopes to open it a year or two from now, maybe as long as 5 years. Which is a good thing, knowing that anise and fennel is going to take a long while to mellow. Anyway, just thought I'd post so as to get a few suggestions of a beer that wouldn't be toxic tasting, but could be a great tribute. She was also big into fitness and a former marine. A Christmas brew comes to mind, but I don't really know where to start.

Jager tastes like liccorice right?

Maybe a little liccorice in secondary?

God speed to your friend. Sorry to hear it and good luck!

Jager tastes like liccorice right?

Maybe a little liccorice in secondary?

God speed to your friend. Sorry to hear it and good luck!

Yeah, hence the anise & fennel. Two ingredients I know are in it. Perhaps licorice root is in it too.

Any ideas about the malt? I'd guess it should be darker brew, but would it work with a lighter beer?

How's this for a start - it's based on a Christmas beer my brothers and I brewed this year. (recipe formulated for partial mash, partial boil)

Just guessing on the fennel and the anise. Could use star anise instead?

At least it gives folks something to play around with.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.43 gal
Estimated OG: 1.081 SG
Estimated Color: 15.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 43.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 38.06 %
3 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 28.54 %
3 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 28.54 %
2.1 oz Caraamber (Weyermann) (36.0 SRM) Grain 1.24 %
2.1 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 1.24 %
2.1 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 1.24 %
1.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 0.57 %
1.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 0.57 %
0.50 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (60 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
0.75 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 27.6 IBU
0.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (20 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
0.13 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (20 min) Hops 0.5 IBU
1.0 tsp Fennel seed, crushed (Boil 1.0 min) Misc
1.0 tsp Anise seed, crushed (Boil 1.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002)

No, honestly I've never played with odd ingredients like this. Is it similar to licorice root? How would I incorporate it into a beer? Flame out? Secondary?

It comes in a stick form about 5 inches long. You use a portion or all of it at the beginning of the boil or you can use it later in the boil dpending upon what you are trying to accomplish. I've had stouts with it in there as well as porters and I LOVE what is does.

Is it strong if you use for full boil?

I'd guess a stout or something dark is more palatable for such a strong flavor, like you said.

What sort of hops do you use to compliment the licorice flavors?

Is it strong if you use for full boil?

I'd guess a stout or something dark is more palatable for such a strong flavor, like you said.

What sort of hops do you use to compliment the licorice flavors?

Yeah it is pretty strong, but pairs well with roasty malts. I believe you could even add it later in the boil, eg. 1/2 stick at 60, 1/2 stick at 15. I would think if you tried to use it in something like a brown or even lighter style it would be very very strong, likely distracting and overpowering. You could get by with a variety of hops. However, the examples I have had the hops are not the center stage, they are simply there for balance. Only commercial example I can think of is Bells Kalamazoo Stout. They use brewers licorice in it.

Back