Long timer lurker, first time brewer...first batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douhof

Reaction score
So I bottled my first batch of brew today, a Hefe Weizen...as I was cleaning out my bottling bucket it dawned on me that I forgot to freakin' sterilize the stupid thing. I rinsed it out beforehand but then got so concerned with sterilizing everything else that I forgot to pour the sanitizer back in the bottling bucket.

All the excitement I felt while bottling it pretty much went down the crapper...

So honestly, what can I expect? I'm sure I'll get the usual smart ass responses to dump it, but I really want to know how bad it's going to be...

If it was a brand new bucket (and I assume it was because it was your first batch) and you rinsed it with hot water right before using, it might be just fine! It was likely very clean, and the rinsing might have removed any bacteria or stray mold spores or wild yeast. I think you have a very good chance of it turning out ok!

There's a good chance you'll be okay. If you're in city water, it's chlorinated. That may actually help you, though NEVER rely on that.

Wait and see. You'll know in 2 weeks. As far as the bottom of the bottles, it'll be normal to notice sediment. IF you see stringy things going through the center or from the top down in 2 weeks you know you infected it.

Also, you'll know from the taste. If it tastes aweful, that's another good sign of infection. But for that, you take the wait 3 more weeks and see approach. Good luck.

Take heart. You'll never make this mistake again. In fact you'll probably be so vigilant about sanitation after this, you won't have the infection worry again.

Thanks for the responses.

Yooper, it was a brand new bucket but it had some dust and a stray dog hair in it which is why I rinsed it out...so that 's what has me worried.

And chemist, your right about that, I won't make that mistake again...the stupid thing is I'm a freak about sanitation...so much so that my girlfriend was making fun of me. I feel like an idiot that I forgot perhaps the most important piece to sanitize.

I once managed to drop a rusty old hammer into my bottling bucket full of beer. Don't ask me how I did that, I don't remember. I then reached in with my decidedly unsanitary hand & arm and fished it out. But the beer was good. Don't worry.

youll be ok, and i dont think anybody will tell you to dump it... they will likely tell you never to dump a batch of anything

cheers

Worst case scneario: it gets infected, you sit on it for a year, it may taste like **** then, or it could be really good. you never know

Back