Herms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biermann

Reinvented Biermann
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
:cool: My new brew system has a HERMS system on it, and I'm still trying to figure it out completely . . . Any advice, tips, links, and/or experience in using this kind of a system would be MUCH appreciated. . . THANKS!! :mug:
Code:

For example, one question I had was how to raise the mash temp when employing a HERMS. . . When doing a step mash, instead of doing a boiling infusion, is it acceptable to raise the mash temp using the HERMS--or is this the whole point of it?? Just curious. I did this on my most recent (and first batch with this system), and the mash temp raised to diastase rest in about 7 minutes. . .

Don't even try....pack up the whole thing and send it to me. I'll even pay for shipping. Maybe I'll throw in a 6 pack:mug:

Seriously, I've been thinking of getting a HERMS or RIMS sometime in the next year or so. I'd like to hear how it works out for you.

It's pretty cool. . . once you get it stabilized, the mash is held absolutely constant, and the grain bed gets vorlaufed for you during the process. No stirring either. I just don't know exactly what I'm doing yet with this!!

Did you build your HERMS? I just build my own RIM system and I'm going to try it for the first time this weekend. When I got it all together I gave it a leak test with 5 gallons (its a 10 gallon system) of water. I put a 3500W element in the recirculating loop controlled by a Watlow PID. The test was great! The water heated up real fast and stay at the perfect temp.
http://www.missouri.edu/~dokej/

I use the HERMS for 2 things, maintaining temps on cold days and raising the temp for mash out. I don't do step mashes because I don't think they are necessary with todays modified malts.

On cold days I mash in, turn on my pump and start recirculating if the temp drops. At the end of the Sacc. rest I have my HLT at 180 with the HERMS coil in it and I recirculate until the mash reaches 168 and I let it sit for about 10 minutes before starting the sparge.

My HERMS came with my brew system. I was doing a bit of research, and it appears that doing a step mash (if necessary :) ) is perfectly fine to do with the HERMS. Amazing what you can learn when you put your mind to it. :cross:

I've been doing step mashes for the heck of it. I like to brew things with wheat and other weird malts sometimes, and a lot of sources recommend it for that, so I figure i might as well be in the practice. . . and since I had the HERMS, I just had to go and try the step mash with it!!:rockin:

Back