Storing extra filled kegs of delicious home brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtrum33

Reaction score
I already have a filled corney keg in my single tap kegerator all hooked up and pouring craft brew. I also have another batch in the fermenter ready to be kegged. After filling the new keg, is the correct procedure to disconnect the gas line on the keg in the fridge and use it to purge out the air in the new keg? Should I store the new keg in the fridge? Does it matter where I store the new keg?

Please help - I am kegging Wednesday night. Thanks.

You can safely disconnect the air line from the fridged keg to purge air in the new keg.

Storing the new keg in the fridge isn't a bad idea, especially if you are force carbonating instead of naturally carbonating ans the lower temps help absorption.

However, if you are in short supply of fridge space you can safely store your keg anywhere you can store bottles : choose someplace with a stable cool tempurature in the house.

The bottom line with kegs: if you treat them like you would bottles you won't hurt your beer. They are just big, complicated bottles with a tougher skin.

Just a personal preference, I like to use caps on my keg heads when I'm storing for long periods in the basement. Less for sanitation reasons (although that is cool too if you apply them in a sanitary fashion) but more to protect it from accidental damage (or pression of the valve) by the other crap that generally accumulates in a basement (or other storage location).

Thanks..........Should I unscrew the gas line first off the gas disconnect, then take the gas disconnect off, or just take the gas disconnect with the gas line attached all off at once? Also, I know I should turn the gas off when disconnecting, but should I also release the pressure by pulling the release valve in the old keg prior to disconnecting the gas? Let me know - I want to make sure that I'm doing this correctly.

One more quick question. What PSI should I use when purging the keg? I have read a few different suggestions anywhere from 30 PSI to 5 PSI. Thanks!

Acutally, you can disconnect a ball lock quick disconnect from a full keg while the line is under pressure. The connector and the quick disconnect will both close automatically when the QD (quick disconnect) is released. No need to turn off the CO2 in order to disconnect from a keg.

In fact, if your gas line does not have a check valve in it, turning off the CO2 while connected to a live keg can actually force fluid back up into the regulator. (Actually watched this happen recently at a vending location at a convention--- they turned off the CO2 and I watched the clean, translucent air line go dark almost all the way to the regualtor before they figured it out and turned it back on).

Purging the keg: the purpose of a keg purge is to push O2 out of the keg and replace with co2. you need enough pressure to ensure that you are getting a good seal-- 3-5 pounds should be plenty but 30 doesn't hurt anything really. When I put an empty canister under pressure I use 'operating pressure' (~12psi) because then I don't have to fiddle with the regulator.

I usually store empties open and dry but sometiems when I don't have time to clean them I'll rinse them well, blow a gallon through the keg and then pop some co2 in it to hold it till I got time to really clean. CO2 seems to retard most fuzzies from growing and stopring under pressure keeps new fuzzies from being able to move in.

When purging the new keg, should I be letting the air out thru the release valve at the same time? Or should I give it 30 seconds of gas, then release the air? Thanks!!:mug:

mtrum33 said:
When purging the new keg, should I be letting the air out thru the release valve at the same time? Or should I give it 30 seconds of gas, then release the air? Thanks!!:mug:

I usually keep the lid off and wait until the CO2 comes pouring out of the keg. CO2 is heavier than air and should, if you don't let it in to fast, fall to the bottom of the keg.

Kai

Sorry, but I'm talking about when I have already transferred the beer from the fermenter. All I want to do is get the top air out before I store the keg.

Your best bet is actually to purge before you transfer, leaving you with only c02 in an open container while you siphon over.

Back