specialty grain steeping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe6pack

Reaction score
How critical is it hold the prescribed temp for the prescribed amount of time when steeping specialty grain?

Last time I put the grain bag in while I heated the water slowly, and then still held it at the recommended temp once it got there. I figured it would help leach out more of the goodies. Any thoughts?

Not too important as long as it doesn't get above 170. Aim for between 150-165ish

It's not like mashing. Your temp can fluctuate without causing issues. Just don't boil to avoid releasing harsh tannins. I've even heard of people letting their grains soak in cold water overnight, which I don't get. Like Parker said, 150-165 range is safe.

Sounds good. I'll let warm up a bit more next time. I pulled it at 148 deg F because I thought 150 was the safe limit. That may be why my OG was a tad lower than expected. (Or it could be that boil over I had. lol)

I used some for the first time today. I got the water up to 150, then let the grain bag soak with the lid on the pot. After 30 minutes, I dunked the grain bag into my water waiting in the ale pale to do a little "sparge".

Sounds good. I'll let warm up a bit more next time. I pulled it at 148 deg F because I thought 150 was the safe limit. That may be why my OG was a tad lower than expected. (Or it could be that boil over I had. lol)

Probably going to be the boil over, the steeping grains really don't add any fermentables

Some instructions tell you to add the steeping bags to cold water and remove when boiling starts. Since time to boil varies a lot from setup to setup, I think I would rather heat the water to recommended temp range and keep it there during steeping.

Having said that, I'm very new to this so it may not matter after all.

Back