1st AG, plus efficiency question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishinDave07

Reaction score
Tomorrow, if the weather stays good, I will be doing my first AG :rockin: And to everyone's surprise it will be Ed Wort's Haus Pale Ale (800+ gallons brewed, its got to be good!).

I've read through Bobby's AG Primer, HowToBrew AG section as well as Home Brewing Wiki and have done the basic calculations with pen and paper.

Now correct me if I'm wrong:

I take the pre-boil OG and the amount of wort collected and plug those values into BeerSmith's "Efficiency Into Boiler" category.

I then take my post-boil OG and amount of wort and plug the OG into "Actual OG" and the amount of wort into "Efficiency Into Fermenter: Actual Batch Volume"

Does that sound right?

Cheers:mug:

FishinDave

Totally forgot to add...
Funny, thats what I am brewing tomorrow.
Did you get hooked up with the TB Beers guys?

Give me a call tomorrow if you getstuck or need anything, PM me if you want my number.

I will be starting at 8 am. I am teaching someone else AG berwing tomorrow where I live.
I thought you were in the Tampa Area, so thats why I asked about the Tampa Bay brewing club.
It will be fine tomorrow, remember its fun, and everything will work out just fine.
Later,
Josh

Can anybody provide me with an example of their Pre-boil OG & Volume as well as their Post-boil OG & volume?

Did this as my first AG last weekend. 6.8 gallons was my pre-boil volume at 1.040 and my OG after boil with 5.5 gals was 1.048. Efficiency was a little low @ 70% but I think it was due the pre-milled grain which was a bit under-crushed. Good luck!!

Cool, my pre-boil OG was 1.040 as well, post-boil was 1.052. Efficiency was 68%, not bad for 1st AG. I think it also had something to do with AHS' crush.

FishinDave07 - Welcome to all grain, that was my first AG batch, and my post boil OG 1.042 for 6 gallons. Very low but with 6 gallons. Still tasted great.
I'm sure your really like the nice clean taste, its a real hit whenever I brew it, and have a hard time keeping it in stock.

Glad it went well for you Dave. You will definately like this beer.

The hydrometer sample was amazing:rockin: It's been fermenting a day already and i cant wait.

its a real hit whenever I brew it, and have a hard time keeping it in stock.

Here's to brewing a second batch in the near future :mug:

Back