Recipe critique - (American Amber)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCH

Reaction score
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Amberella
Brewer: BuckWild Brewery
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 11.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 27.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 lb Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 26.67 %
2.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 26.67 %
2.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 26.67 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 13.33 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 22.3 IBU
0.60 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
4.00 gal Dallas, TX Water
1 Pkgs Wyeast Ale Blend (Wyeast Labs #1087) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

I was messing around with the beersmith program and wanted to make a recipe that my uncle(big BMC drinker) would like. Tried to to go light on the hops.

I'm not sure about the "Dallas" water. I'll probably be using bottled spring water but I didn't know where to find that.

Also, this is my first attempt at the beersmith program, so I'm sure I've done a few things wrong.

The BMC drinkers that I know seem to associate taste with appearance, so if you really want to break your uncle in keep the beer light in color. Look up late extract addition to help you out in this category.

I've never made a beer that lacked balance from a bitterness perspective like your proposed recipe does, so I don't know what his perception of it will be. I've had good luck this summer with hefe-weizens in welcoming these types of drinkers into the fold. Just remind them to keep their minds open, and comparing abv's with what they usually drink never hurts.

Also drop out the amber extract and exchange it for more light extract, it will help with the color.

If you can find noble hops, you may want to do your bittering addition with them, they will have more of a BMC taste than the cascade.

+1 to swapping the amber extract with more extra-light. I'd also swap the 60L for a half-and-half mix of 60L and 40L (a half-pound of each), for a more complex caramel flavor. Also, add 2 oz of roasted barley for color. Your hops are a little light for the style; the caramel flavors will dominate in this recipe.

I think AAA is a great "training wheels" style. Let's hope your uncle will like it.

Cheers,

Bob

+1 to swapping the amber extract with more extra-light. I'd also swap the 60L for a half-and-half mix of 60L and 40L (a half-pound of each), for a more complex caramel flavor. Also, add 2 oz of roasted barley for color. Your hops are a little light for the style; the caramel flavors will dominate in this recipe.

I think AAA is a great "training wheels" style. Let's hope your uncle will like it.

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks for the advice guys.

My goal is to get my uncle involved in brewing. He already makes his own wine, but last time I tried to introduce him to a "hoppsy" beer, he didn't even finish it. I think that's the normal reaction from most BMC guys. I'm hoping if I introduce him to brewing, it will "widen" his horizons.

Thanks, again.

I would boil another ounce of cascade hops for the last minute, but it is personal choice, taste it, modify the recipe and brew another, taste it, modify.....

I did a similar beer a few weeks ago. My recipe used all amber DME with crystal 80 and next time I would definetly go with the light DME with crystal ect. to make it amber color/flavor. My recipe is a bit "heavy" like there is too much going on. I agree the 60l/40l split is a nice idea. Also a tip I learned on my own is make sure you know/understand (you probably do though) what the hop flavors will be! :) I'm not yet thrilled with the one choice I made of Simcoe. I am hopping it mellows out after a few weeks.

Not up to date on my hops flavors. I have the beersmith program and the How to Beer book to give me an idea but as far as being able to "know the taste", I'm definitely a noob.

The reason I've got two 2 lbs of Extra Light DME is because I was going to put one 2 lb's in after the boil. Now I'm not sure. Will this make my beer darker???

If you want to make an Amber Ale specific to style, then you want a hop with a citrus taste. That being said If it were me I would use cascade for my aroma addition. However the recipe you have will taste very good the way it is.

The reason I've got two 2 lbs of Extra Light DME is because I was going to put one 2 lb's in after the boil. Now I'm not sure. Will this make my beer darker???

I have had very good luck with late addition extract recipes. I t does make the beer a bit lighter but not to dramatically.

Back