Yeast problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mworkman

Reaction score
Yesterday, before putting in the yeast I let it sit out in a bowl for 15 minutes before putting it in. Problem is, I thought it was supposed to be 38-40 deg F. It actually read Celsius. So I put it in colder water. I didn't take the temp of the water but I'm guessing it was probably about 50 deg F. I poured it into the wort which was about 85 deg. Did I maybe put the poor yeast into shock?:cross: It has been about 20 hours now and it is not bubbling yet. I can see about 1 1/2 inches of foam build up (clear plastic bucket) so maybe something is happening in there. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Yes, it sounds like you shocked the yeast a bit, but since the krauzen is building up now, they must of gotten over it.

Class case of 'read the instructions' there - although they sound strange anyway! Sounds like it's ok so far though - just check your bucket is fully sealed and you haven't got a 'leak' that's bypassing your airlock.

That's good to hear. I rechecked to seal. I was wondering about the seal because it never did feel that it sealed very tight.

Back