Lagering time -- should I rack a third time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finn

Reaction score
Good morning! This is a question about my first lager that I've tried, which is now in secondary. I racked it to secondary and put it up for lagering too early -- it had only attenuated to 040 -- and when I realized what I'd done, I had to pull it back to the fermentation area and pitch another vial of WLP830 to get it going again. (What can I say? It was my first lager, and, well, what I lacks in smarts I makes up for in EAGER!)

Well, now it's REALLY ready to lager, and I'm wondering if I need to rack it a third time so it's put away clean. There's not much trub in there, so I figured it would be OK for a month or two sitting on it, and after all bottle-conditioned beers sit on a tiny trub for months without any problems.

I hate to rack anything I don't have to, especially after it's quit offgassing CO2. I'm lagering in a carboy, not a corny.

Thanks!

--Finn

Finn said:
Good morning! This is a question about my first lager that I've tried, which is now in secondary. I racked it to secondary and put it up for lagering too early -- it had only attenuated to 040 -- and when I realized what I'd done, I had to pull it back to the fermentation area and pitch another vial of WLP830 to get it going again. (What can I say? It was my first lager, and, well, what I lacks in smarts I makes up for in EAGER!)

Well, now it's REALLY ready to lager, and I'm wondering if I need to rack it a third time so it's put away clean. There's not much trub in there, so I figured it would be OK for a month or two sitting on it, and after all bottle-conditioned beers sit on a tiny trub for months without any problems.

I hate to rack anything I don't have to, especially after it's quit offgassing CO2. I'm lagering in a carboy, not a corny.

Thanks!

--Finn

I have done 3 lagers and I was told to lager after Carbonation in bottles but others on here lager before they carb, either way my method turns out clear and theres probably does too, you can try to lager without racking I dont think it will hurt it, and if it is still cloudy after you build carb it will eventually fall out when chilled long enough.

I think in your case I would recommend racking again before lagering just to get it off the majority of the second round of yeast. I'm fairly sure you'd be fine if you don't rack again, but I'm no expert on lagers.

Latest posts

Back