rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
with all of this hop shortage talk I was thinking I would get a early start looking into rhizomes for next spring. The last 2 years I have gotten mine from northern brewer, where do you get yours?
-
I have some in the ground from 06 and 07 and I have read about taking a cutting from rhizomes already in the ground how should I go about this?

I have access to a large field so I would like to get as many rhizomes as I can.

Just remember, you aren't going to get very many hops the first year they're planted. Rhyzomes will help you out for 2009, not 2008.

I know Im not going to stop brewing any time soon so they will be put to good use when I can harvest.
-
my 07 hallertau grew about 8 feet and produced no hops hopefully next year will be better

I think I will be planting some this spring as well. Heck I got an acre maybe I will put a fricken bunch in so I have some to sell.

I'd think you'd take rhizomes cutting in the spring as that's the time they go on sale

But I'm certainly no expert as all the rhizomes I got for Freshops failed this year.
Due to a series of mistakes on my part and the drought here in the SE.

Check out "The Homebrewers Garden" amazon has it probably so do online HBS.

Oddly, there is very little available about rhizome harvesting. My understanding is they are the shallow roots which surround the main root ball and it is simply a matter of digging about a foot from the ball.

One of these days, I'll remember to ask Dave Wills about it.

I believe you can bend over some of the healthy shoots after harvest and bury them in a trench(just cover). They swell, root, and then you have harvestable segments in the spring. Layering

looks like some good info mckbrew thanks
-
I should have looked into this a little earlier this season and I could have tried that - joser
-
I think I might try to get a clipping for my 06 cascade this spring but Im a little uneasy about messing around with the roots of my plants

I didnt cover my hills with any thing I just clipped the bines at ground level. I have already had some snow Im wondering if I will have any issues.

I have willamette(2006) and a Cascade(2007). I got some cones from the cascade but one weekend away is all it takes to go from beautifully green to dead yellow... oh well. Actually, the willamette seems to be trying to sprout again. Kinda weird. I might bury the new shoots to get more rhizomes.

killian said:
anyone here plant any rhizomes in 07?
Yep, planted 4 rhizomes, Cascades, Centennial, Chinook and Willamette.
Got about 3 oz off of the C hops, mostly Cascades. The Willamette looked good but didn't produce. Still I got better than I expected based on what I had read. We even had somewhat of a drought this summer and watering was sporadic as the hops were on my parents farm and aways from an easy water source. I need to get out there and mulch them before winter really sets in.

Craig Baker

I have Mt. Hood hops that I started back in 2003 and the first year was slow but now the things grow like crazy, and they will take over the place if you don't keep up with them.

These plants spread under ground just like your grass. To find the rhizomes, in early spring when the ground thaws, Get a sharp kitchen knive and cut down in a circle around the base of the hop (the crown) about 1 foot away. When you cut through a root running near the surface, pull it up and look for the rhizomes. They are the larger clumps attached to the roots. This will also keep your hops from spreading into areas where you don't want them.

killian said:
anyone here plant any rhizomes in 07?

I put two Fuggles in, in March 07...I didn't have them trellised. they grew along the ground some. trimmed them back to the ground this fall and will trellis them in the spring.

so where are you all buying your rhizomes? I want to plant a bunch of them this spring and Im wondering what the best supplier is. I received my shipment later than I would have liked from NB last spring.

killian said:
so where are you all buying your rhizomes? I want to plant a bunch of them this spring and Im wondering what the best supplier is. I received my shipment later than I would have liked from NB last spring.

I just get them locally from a LHBS. I called them early in the spring and asked them to call me when they came in. No worries there.

mew said:
Anyone found any columbus or amarillo rhizomes?

I was under the impression that amarillo was a patented varietal and so you can't get a rhizome. I could be wrong though, I'm sure it's happened once or twice...

wow northern brewer should just list the hops that they have in stock, I was trying to work on getting my ingredients for the 08/08/08 and the closest hops I could find there were galena and German tradition. Damn I should have waited and shopped around.
-
sorry had to vent a little

I might have to dig up last years hallertau in my front yard, I'm moving. should I put it in the ground or put it in a pot until it warms up out side?

I have no idea how big the root ball is going to be.

I pre-ordered some this morning through Midwest. I'm getting, Cascade, Centenial, Chinook, Golding, Mt. Hood and Sterling. If I can find some Saaz and Columbus, I'll pick them up too.

the_bird said:
Just remember, you aren't going to get very many hops the first year they're planted. Rhyzomes will help you out for 2009, not 2008.

I beg to differ, I got all most 10oz on my first year crops in 07.

DSCF0395.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCF0002.jpg

Brew-boy said:
I beg to differ, I got all most 10oz on my first year crops in 07.

Sweet!

You fellas have any advice on growning hop varieties that don't get quite so tall? Maybe 4 or so feet only.

You fellas have any advice on growing hop varieties that don't get quite so tall? Maybe 4 or so feet only.[/QUOTE]

This is some thing that is being worked on I think they are called dwarf hops but I think they still grow to be 10ft tall.

The only dwarfs that I've found are all proprietary strains. Growers have to license them and as such, I've been unable to find rhizomes for either First Gold or Summit (both drwarfs).

Back