I hit the panic button way too soon...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hardball

Reaction score
Racked my winter warmer ahbs kit to secondary today after 10 days in primary. OG was 1.075, FG supposed to be 1.015. Mine measured at 1.030 after putting it in secondary.

This is where I panic. I added a pack of Safbrew s-04 (kit came w/ Muntons) to secondary thinking I was doing good. Then I log on here and find out that I probably ruined the beer.

I had never made a high gravity brew before so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Oh well....should take my own advice and have patience.

Hardball said:
Then I log on here and find out that I probably ruined the beer.
What gave you that idea?

It's not uncommon to pitch dry yeast when fermentation seems to have gotten stuck... At worst, it just won't do much and you'll be no worse off than you are now.

It would have been much better to leave it in primary longer to give it more of a chance to ferment out, by racking to secondary you're taking away most of the yeast. Most likely, it'll finish, but it might take a while. Be patient and don't go racking anywhere else until it ferments out properly.

That's a pretty big beer. You gotta leave it in for a few weeks....and don't be surprised if it takes a few months before it gets really tasty.

I was hoping to give it as Christmas presents but now it looks like we will be drinking it a new year (fingers crossed).

I tend to repitch with high gravity ales, unless I started with a yeast cake. Adding yeast won't hurt your ale at any stage of the process, except while drinking it.

Hardball said:
I was hoping to give it as Christmas presents but now it looks like we will be drinking it a new year (fingers crossed).

well I don't know winter warmer ahbs kit... but if you want to drink a christmas beer in dicember you have to brew it at least in april!!! (better in march) becouse this kind of beer need a long time in bottle:mug:

Back