Big problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captwalt

Reaction score
Last weekend while cleaning up after an epic brew day the auger from my Victoria corona style grain mill rolled off the table and on to the floor. This want so bad except that the grinding plate on it broke in two, I have scoured the internets looking for a replacement but it has turned up nothing. If anyone I. The community can assist me I would be forever indebted to you.

If your idea of helpful comments is "purchase a new mill", or better yet, i need to go and get some expensive and really nice crusher designed for brewers, thr kind of crusher that any respectable homebrewer would insist on using, please go ahead and pack sand. I am very poor and would just like to know if Any kind soul knows how to get a new one, if not, thank you all anyway

You might try taking it to a machine shop. Sometimes they can help.

I'm not much of a welder but from what I understand cast iron is finicky. I'm considering finding a price if steel to make replacement for it but I would prefer to get the proper peice

Put an ad in the "wanted" forum here. Gives you more exposure.

Cast iron is very difficult to weld.

when i was reading through the soldering stainless steel sticky on the DIY forum there was a guy that soldered a cast bell with a torch, its a long shot but if you already have a torch it cant hurt. I mean worse case you what damage a broken plate.

I was thinking...watch out!

Add a steel back-up plate and fasten the 2 pieces of the grinder disk with some bolts to it to make a cohesive disk again. Perhaps with some epoxy to fill in the gaps between grinder disk and steel plate to make it more solid and stronger.

I wonder if a cast can be made from your piece to forge a new one?

I was hoping I could resolve this for next to free but alas it seems impossible. I suppose my cheap ass needs to come off the money for a new one. Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions.

R.I.P Milicent B. Grinder (Millie), 2011-2013

image-1639063649.jpg

Back