Polysulfone vs SS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoplander

Reaction score
So, I'm looking into buying pumps for my HERMS build. Want to do one tier but keep cost low.

Looking into the Chugger pumps and the Polysulfone pumps are $99 and SS is $140.

Wondering if anyone has used both and what are the pros/cons?

Cheers,
JR
:mug:

I haven't used stainless, but I have two march pumps with polysulfone pump heads. They work great. Why do you think you might need stainless?

I don't think I would necessarily "need" stainless, I'm more worried about cleanliness and any off-flavors that might develop from using polysulfone.

I guess, what I really want to know is: why wouldn't I want the polysulfone? How long have you had your pump(s)?

I don't think I would necessarily "need" stainless, I'm more worried about cleanliness and any off-flavors that might develop from using polysulfone.

I guess, what I really want to know is: why wouldn't I want the polysulfone? How long have you had your pump(s)?

They clean up easy enough. Hot water when you're done and then some PBW or oxyclean. If you really want to make sure it's all good, you can take the pump head apart and soak it. No off flavors for me. Plenty of brewers use it and I haven't heard of any such reports. I've had mine for 3 years now. I don't see any reason to spend the extra money on SS unless that's what you really want.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'll probably save the $$ and go for the $99 pumps. Although, I might have a line on some cheap ss chuggers, but we'll see.

If you wanna save money now buy the polysufone ones and get stainless heads later. Would only cost you $10 a pump in the long run since Stainless head pump is $40 more and the heads alone are $50

How much are the pumps without a head? Doesn't sound like saving money to me. Sounds like buying two pump heads.

BBL_Brewer said:
How much are the pumps without a head? Doesn't sound like saving money to me. Sounds like buying two pump heads.

Its saving money in the short term. Might be able to sell the heads too.

Probably one of the bigger advantages of SS in this situation, or any really, is there is less of a chance of damaging the in/out threads due to cross threading, over tightening, etc.

Probably one of the bigger advantages of SS in this situation, or any really, is there is less of a chance of damaging the in/out threads due to cross threading, over tightening, etc.

Not to mention potential damage to the head if it falls on the floor, has something dropped on it, a careless brewer trips over a hose connected to it, etc.

With the low cost of a replacement head it's probably worth it to buy the polysulphone head and just keep it until it gives up the ghost. Might last forever, you never know.

Back