Back in the Game!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrizzell

Reaction score
Well, after many years away from brewing, I've been getting back into it again lately. I started out with some smaller batches, but recently stopped by a HBS and geared back up for 5 gallon batches.

Tonight I brewed my first 5 gallon batch since college (Lord...that was 13 years ago!)

It's a Blue Moon clone - extract with steeped grain (Caparils). Everything went pretty well, I had some clumping with the wheat DME, but I think I probably added it a bit too fast. I pitched a packet of T-58 and I'm hoping to see some lovely airlock activity tomorrow morning.

Ah, it's good to be back. Next up is an Irish red.

Welcome back! We missed you! Let us know how it's going.

Cheers

Thanks, it's good to be missed. :D

Checked this morning and it's bubbling away, probably almost twice a second. :rockin:

jfrizzell said:
Tonight I brewed my first 5 gallon batch since college (Lord...that was 13 years ago!)
That's great, welcome back! I'm in the same situation, I hadn't brewed in over twenty years and came back into the hobby with a vengeance a few months ago. Since then I've gone into warp drive, making a batch virtually every weekend and working hard on getting the "pipeline" full.

One nice thing about getting older is that I've got a few more nickels to spend, and I've taken advantage...lots of ingredients, better equipment, built a kegerator, etc. Age also provides a lot more patience, and I'm now perfectly content to let my beer ferment and condition to perfection. Yet with each beer I open or pour from the tap, I still get the same sense of satisfaction I remember from all those years ago.

If there is a downside, it's that I'm now thoroughly spoiled and disappointed by virtually every commercial beer I try. Of course the answer to that is easy...just brew more!

BlindLemonLars said:
One nice thing about getting older is that I've got a few more nickels to spend, and I've taken advantage...lots of ingredients, better equipment, built a kegerator, etc. Age also provides a lot more patience, and I'm now perfectly content to let my beer ferment and condition to perfection.

I hear ya! You are in what I call the 3rd phase of home brewer demographics. Older Home brewers who brew for better beer and can afford the toys. :D

Of course Yuri has defined his own phase of demographics. :cross:

EdWort said:
I hear ya! You are in what I call the 3rd phase of home brewer demographics. Older Home brewers who brew for better beer and can afford the toys. :D

Of course Yuri has defined his own phase of demographics. :cross:
I think Yuri really doesn't exist. He's a figment of what we all want to be...did I say that out loud?

Bush Imitator: There are inner words and there are outer words...:D

Back