Old Rasputin Clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Old Rasputin clone recipe from Beer Captured? I had the real thing for the first time about two weeks ago and loved it. I have the recipe in the book and am just wondering if anyone has tried it, or has any suggestions to tweak that recipe?

I too have been curious about cloning this one. Haven't seen BC, but would be curious to hear about a refined recipe. This is a mighty good beer.

I've got a couple brews on the list before I can brew up this but I'll shoot for sometime before the end of the year. I'll probably brew it for 3 gallons instead of five so I can do it all-grain. The grain bill is big and I don't have enough room in my MLT for that much grain. I know I could substitute some extract for the pale malt, but I think I'll just try it all-grain. I'll keep updates when I brew it.

Ok, I'm finally getting around to this brew. I'd buy the grain today, but the LHBS is closed monday and tuesday. It might get brewed Christmas Eve. Here's the recipe. It's basically the all grain recipe from Beer Captured, but scaled down to 3 gallons, with the amounts rounded to the nearest .05 lb (because that's the smallest incriment on the LHBS pound scale)

9.00 Lbs. Pale Malt (2-row)
0.65 Lbs. Crystal 80 L
0.45 Lbs. Chocolate Malt
0.40 Lbs. Roasted Barley
0.30 Lbs. Black Patent Malt
0.30 Lbs. Victory Malt

1.35 oz. Cluster Pellet 7.3% 60 min
0.30 oz. Centennial Pellet 9.9% 15 min
0.30 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 9% 15 min
0.60 oz. Liberty Pellet 4.1% 2 min

I'll probably use White Labs WLP-001 California Ale Yeast

OG: 1.091 IBU: 78.2 SRM: 54.6

Ok, so I finally got around to brewing this batch after postponing twice. Followed the recipe from the previous post. Mashed for 90 min and collected about 5.5 gallons of wort. Boiled for an hour before starting hop schedule to get volume down. Could have sparged a little more and boiled longer. I was aiming for 3 gal at 1.091 but I ended up with 3.25 gal. at 1.082. Oh well, it shoud still taste fine.

Brewed yesterday, adapted to my partial something LME style and White Labs bias:
2.4 lb 2-Row (Briess Organic)
9.45 lb Light LME (Briess Organic)
WLP013 London Ale
First taste: 24 February 2018
Drom John Old Rasputin Beer Captured.png

First taste, side by side, real is cleaner, lighter head; Beer Captured is fuller, tanner head, a bit more bitter.
Close enough.

Does my heart good to see people enjoying and praising the classics. OR is a great beer, GREAT! Glad it turned out well for you.

Back